The Islands Worst Sales Assistant

caringwife

Sometimes in (a newsagent branch in Douglas) I shuffle my place in the queue so that if possible I don't have to deal with the volume of the breezy cheerful "goooood .... morning" which one of the staff shouts (even in the pm).

(It's like being attacked by Sandi Toksvig.) Too friendly isn't good either IMO. There's a nice neutral middle ground.

Ah, I think I know that one

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't we all decide on some previous thread that the lad at the convenience store is the friendliest shop assistant around?

Good work fella. Keep up the friendly polite attitude (which seems genuine too!). :)

Sometimes in (a newsagent branch in Douglas) I shuffle my place in the queue so that if possible I don't have to deal with the volume of the breezy cheerful "goooood .... morning" which one of the staff shouts (even in the pm).

(It's like being attacked by Sandi Toksvig.) Too friendly isn't good either IMO. There's a nice neutral middle ground.

She says good morning at 2pm, havent heard her any later than that. She is always silent with me thank goodness, cant be doing with all that sucking up business.

She says good morning at 2pm, havent heard her any later than that. She is always silent with me thank goodness, cant be doing with all that sucking up business.

Not up your own ass much I see :rolleyes:

Island snobbery still up to it's usual standard I see :rolleyes:

What a wonderfully snobby thread. :D

What's snobby about expect some courtesy & good manners, even a smidgen of enthusiasm from useless worker drones that work in shops? ;)

What's snobby about expect some courtesy & good manners, even a smidgen of enthusiasm from useless worker drones that work in shops? ;)

Starting out by calling them useless worker drones is a start, sounds like the attitude stinks to begin with.

Why should you "expect" common courtesy if it doesn't work both ways?

Since you are in fact classed as a guest while your on their premises.

Some people who are complaining about the types of assistants that serve them should maybe think about the types of customer they are....

I've worked in retail, many many years ago granted, but you can spot a surly, unfriendly arse who'll throw the money down on the counter for you, bark their demands and turn without so much as a please or thank you a mile off. Works both ways.

Sure, they're there to serve and help you, but some of them are only doing their jobs and they do get a lot of shit from crappy customers.

I agree with that. Respect for others will bring courtesy.

Nothing worse for a shop assistant than to have to start the day with a rude customer.

Yes very pretty does that mean we can say what we like and it won't matter??

Are you aware of the form of humour known as 'sarcasm'? This, and its oft mistaken twin brother 'irony' are commonly used around the world, I'm surprised you've not come across it before.

While 'sarcasm' is often criticised for being a lower form of wit, in many cases, it's often an effective tool for creating 'humour'.

We can cover 'humour' in more detail at your next life lesson.

Appreciate what ans has said - but I try to be friendly with all sales staff - I know it can be a thankless job - but the airport guy (and plenty of others) don't reciprocate, and seem to develop a sense of glee if you ask them for something they haven't got or can't do. Jobsworth types are the same the world over I'm afraid.

And I certainly don't expect fawning worship - just common courtesy and basic efficiency.

I don't know why we have to single out sales assistants. In my view the very vast majority are doing a difficult job extremely well.

What about other workers, officials, Managing Directors, advocates, accountants etc.

Most people in whatever job do their best but unfortunately the public do not always give them their best side. And by public I include myself!

Archived