Someone To Look Forward To

skyland

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks to me like a reasonable move - he's not being paid as such, and is trying to avoid an expensive election process.

Am surprised the newspaper doesn't know how to spell remuneration though - one of my bugbears these days is OUR politicians who talk about renumbering things instead!

He seems alright.

There are many, many worse with questionable means and morals of amassing their ££££££££££s.

Providing they have loads, this Island simply doesn't care why a person has left their previous home to live here. As long as they make the right noises and say how nice it is we seem to welcome them with open arms.

The chap will go far. He's amongst many friends already.

An economy class return BA flight leaving on October 24 would cost him £41.

What? Since when?

Sorry to disappoint you Councillor F - £41 that's single - obviously this chap wasn't on the board of finance at Worthing - or perhaps he was, can't wait for him to stand in 2011 - wonder who he'll take on?

An economy class return BA flight leaving on October 24 would cost him £41.

What? Since when?

Sorry to disappoint you Councillor F - £41 that's single - obviously this chap wasn't on the board of finance at Worthing - or perhaps he was, can't wait for him to stand in 2011 - wonder who he'll take on?

I'm the person referred to in the article, and I wasn't under the impression that a single flight was £41. The newspaper did that bit of "research" themselves, and got it wrong as the researcher didn't know how to use the BA website properly. They had to print a correction the following day when I pointed out that the cheapest flight I could find on the date they mentioned was £125.

If I stand, it will be in one of the Douglas seats, as that's where I live. If I were able to stand this year, which the Representation of the People Act doesn't allow, it would be against David Anderson.

Not sure how to post links etc but im sure you can copy and paste. What do forum members think of this guy?. if my local councillor moved to a penthouse on Brighton seafront and refused to give up his pay I would be quite upset. http://archive.theargus.co.uk/2005/9/30/203575.html

Personally it sounds like he's "Falk'ed" to me.

I could use that for my election slogan.

"Get Falk'ed this November."

Coun Falk said the Isle of Man was a wonderful place to live and he planned to stand as an independent for the Manx Parliament in 2011.

Sounds like you'll fit in!

Personally, I would be very worried about someone who pitches up in another country and announces within a few weeks that he is to stand for Parliament. Especially, when that person has been so cavillier towards the constituents in his former constituencies.

That article is from Sept 2005, so aside from the occasional meeting, they will have been without representation for eight months. What guarentee would the Manx electorate have that you wouldn't up sticks again mid-term?

Not sure how to post links etc but im sure you can copy and paste. What do forum members think of this guy?. if my local councillor moved to a penthouse on Brighton seafront and refused to give up his pay I would be quite upset. http://archive.theargus.co.uk/2005/9/30/203575.html

Just to ressurect this one.

Did anyone read his views in this weeks Indy feature without thinking of the word "tosser" more than once.

It might be a real laugh if this guy decided to stand for Keys.

Coun Falk said the Isle of Man was a wonderful place to live and he planned to stand as an independent for the Manx Parliament in 2011.

Sounds like you'll fit in!

Personally, I would be very worried about someone who pitches up in another country and announces within a few weeks that he is to stand for Parliament. Especially, when that person has been so cavillier towards the constituents in his former constituencies.

That article is from Sept 2005, so aside from the occasional meeting, they will have been without representation for eight months. What guarentee would the Manx electorate have that you wouldn't up sticks again mid-term?

I take your point, but Durrington is in fact a two-member ward, so my constituents have not been "without representation". In any case, the person I'm sharing it with (my friend Ann Sayers) is a very good and capable politician, and has done a sterling job. As for moving again? No intentions at the moment - I'm happy here. And what I've heard today (Tony Blair stating he believes God told him to invade Iraq) confirms my decision to leave the UK was the right one.

Just to ressurect this one.

Did anyone read his views in this weeks Indy feature without thinking of the word "tosser" more than once.

It might be a real laugh if this guy decided to stand for Keys.

Which views in particular?

I was tempted simply to post a putdown, but first I'm curious to know which of my views displeased you.

OK You are taking the bait from some of our respected forum members so you should put your cards on the table RIGHT NOW! Why are you on the Island, HAVE YOU A HIDDEN AGENDA, because within months of arriving, you are putting your name forward for the House of Keys. If I was a betting man I may say you already have a close band of friends on the Island who may have asked you to come to the Island for maybe this purpose. I may be wrong, or I may be right. This a chance for you to have your say.

OK You are taking the bait from some of our respected forum members so you should put your cards on the table RIGHT NOW! Why are you on the Island, HAVE YOU A HIDDEN AGENDA, because within months of arriving, you are putting your name forward for the House of Keys. If I was a betting man I may say you already have a close band of friends on the Island who may have asked you to come to the Island for maybe this purpose. I may be wrong, or I may be right. This a chance for you to have your say.

Actually, you're wrong.

I didn't know anybody here - not one person - when I moved.

The comment above that "this chap will go far - he's among many friends already" has had me puzzled ever since I read it. I don't have any influential friends here, and if I do decide to stand for the Keys I will have to work bloody hard to get in.

I'm on the island for three reasons:

1 To pay less tax and keep more of what I earn.

2 To escape from a country that is, in my view, run by a lunatic. (In the light of his latest revelations, I mean that seriously.)

3 Possibly to get involved in politics in a place where people haven't made up their minds before the start of every debate, and where there isn't a party whip.

As for why the paper ran that big feature on me - that was simply as a consequence of the coverage on here. They rang me out of the blue, and as far as I know they don't have a hidden agenda either.

Anything else you'd like to know?

Archived