Someone To Look Forward To

skyland

my commitment now is to my life in this country, and my interest is in its political system

I'm no longer resident on the island. But something about this thread nagged at me. The last post made me realise what is was - the use of the word "commitment".

It takes a while to organise moving, sometimes it seems to drag on forever. Especially "overseas" (well, maybe) but more importantly to somewhere that requires you to have a work permit.

You are elected in Worthing in June 2004 and only 13 months later move to the IOM - makes me wonder.

Coun Falk said the Isle of Man was a wonderful place to live and he planned to stand as an independent for the Manx Parliament in 2011.

You're on the island for only 2 months and that's already your gameplan? I'm presuming here that The Argus didn't make it up and are quoting you.

The plan is to continue until April to avoid the considerable expense of a by-election, which isn't the best use of public money.
IMHO it's not your decision to make and it is absolutely no longer your money.

Since I was elected, I haven't had a lot of constituents ringing me needing my help.

Well Mr JRG Falk, what do you think the constituents you have left behind think of your "commitment" to your new life in your new country? I can give you some pointers if you like, based around the amount of commitment you have shown to those who elected you compared to the amount you give to yourself.

Also check out the 9/11 thread. For all those conspiracy nuts you're not a Freemason are you?

My use of the word "commitment" in that quote was not in the "politician's" sense of the term. I was not talking about being committed to any high principle - I simply meant that the Isle of Man is where I now want to make my life. As I have already said, my decision to move was made after being elected and not before, and I have explained my reasons for that decision. What I cannot do is force you to believe me if you do not wish to.

As for standing for Parliament here, I'd already decided that might be something I'd like to do before I moved. I certainly wouldn't have had the temerity to seek publicity here for my intentions seven months after moving, but thanks to this thread things seemed to take on a life of their own. The "Evening Argus" did not misquote me - they directly asked me whether I might be interested in entering politics over here and I gave them a straight answer.

I disagree with your statement regarding a by-election that "it's not [my] decision to make". From a strictly legal standpoint, it is absolutely the decision of the sitting candidate whether he or she wishes to resign a seat, providing Standing Orders have not been breached. The moral argument, I agree, can be seen both ways - but my view was that provoking an expensive by-election a few months before the scheduled elections would not be the right course of action.

As to what my constituents think, how would you presume to know? Almost certainly you have never even set foot in Worthing - and if you do have some connection with the town, maybe you should be good enough to tell me who you actually are. What was revealing was that, in the weeks following a full-page article about my move in the "Worthing Herald", the paper received just one letter condemning my decision - and not from one of my constituents, but from someone from a neighbouring ward.

Finally, I am definitely not a Freemason. Even if I wished to join, which I don't, they wouldn't admit an Atheist like me.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my commitment now is to my life in this country, and my interest is in its political system

I'm no longer resident on the island. But something about this thread nagged at me. The last post made me realise what is was - the use of the word "commitment".

It takes a while to organise moving, sometimes it seems to drag on forever. Especially "overseas" (well, maybe) but more importantly to somewhere that requires you to have a work permit.

You are elected in Worthing in June 2004 and only 13 months later move to the IOM - makes me wonder.

Coun Falk said the Isle of Man was a wonderful place to live and he planned to stand as an independent for the Manx Parliament in 2011.

You're on the island for only 2 months and that's already your gameplan? I'm presuming here that The Argus didn't make it up and are quoting you.

The plan is to continue until April to avoid the considerable expense of a by-election, which isn't the best use of public money.

Since I was elected, I haven't had a lot of constituents ringing me needing my help.

Well Mr JRG Falk, what do you think the constituents you have left behind think of your "commitment" to your new life in your new country? I can give you some pointers if you like, based around the amount of commitment you have shown to those who elected you compared to the amount you give to yourself.

Also check out the 9/11 thread. For all those conspiracy nuts you're not a Freemason are you?

My use of the word "commitment" in that quote was not in the "politician's" sense of the term. I was not talking about being committed to any high principle - I simply meant that the Isle of Man is where I now want to make my life. As I have already said, my decision to move was made after being elected and not before, and I have explained my reasons for that decision. What I cannot do is force you to believe me if you do not wish to.

As for standing for Parliament here, I'd already decided that might be something I'd like to do before I moved. I certainly wouldn't have had the temerity to seek publicity here for my intentions seven months after moving, but thanks to this thread things seemed to take on a life of their own. The "Evening Argus" did not misquote me - they directly asked me whether I might be interested in entering politics over here and I gave them a straight answer.

I disagree with your statement regarding a by-election that "it's not [my] decision to make". From a strictly legal standpoint, it is absolutely the decision of the sitting candidate whether he or she wishes to resign a seat, providing Standing Orders have not been breached. The moral argument, I agree, can be seen both ways - but my view was that provoking an expensive by-election a few months before the scheduled elections would not be the right course of action.

As to what my constituents think, how would you presume to know? Almost certainly you have never even set foot in Worthing - and if you do have some connection with the town, maybe you should be good enough to tell me who you actually are. What was revealing was that, in the weeks following a full-page article about my move in the "Worthing Herald", the paper received just one letter condemning my decision - and not from one of my constituents, but from someone from a neighbouring ward.

Finally, I am definitely not a Freemason. Even if I wished to join, which I don't, they wouldn't admit an Atheist like me.

I'd give up. The rhetoric is getting very, very tired.

Your position is not defendable. You shouldn't dig bigger holes for yourself but sadly as a "politician" you just can't help yourself by constantly defending yourself when your actions just don't compute. Its the instinct of every politician I have ever met.

I wouldn't vote for you and neither would many people here, because your commitment seems to be towards your future and your profile. Period. Can we just agree to disagree and move on as your defence of your actions is getting a bit embarrassing.

I'd give up. The rhetoric is getting very, very tired.

Your position is not defendable. You shouldn't dig bigger holes for yourself but sadly as a "politician" you just can't help yourself by constantly defending yourself when your actions just don't compute. Its the instinct of every politician I have ever met.

I wouldn't vote for you and neither would many people here, because your commitment seems to be towards your future and your profile. Period. Can we just agree to disagree and move on as your defence of your actions is getting a bit embarrassing.

Of course we can agree to disagree. I have never chosen my friends on the basis that they have similar views to my own.

And ultimately, I agree with you - this thread is starting to get boring, but when new posters raise questions and arguments (even those repeating former points and covering old ground), I think it's only courteous to reply.

Do you lot know how to reply to a post without quoting the entire bloody thread. Only PK has used it properly tonight, the rest of you are quoting the post before you in the thread (and all the posts it quotes) then typing something after it. There really is no need, it makes the thread harder to read and if this carries on you'll use up all the internets.

Do you lot know how to reply to a post without quoting the entire bloody thread. Only PK has used it properly tonight, the rest of you are quoting the post before you in the thread (and all the posts it quotes) then typing something after it. There really is no need, it makes the thread harder to read and if this carries on you'll use up all the internets.

I couldn't agree more. You end up re-reading something you have just read.

I think it is a politician thing because the other chap on the forum Charles F used to always do that. But he has now adapated to forum etiquette

Those multi-layered quoted always get me too

As the tend to be like one of those tunnel looking things

When you hold a mirror up to a mirror. Almost Bohemian Rhapsody video-esque but I think I have just hit the maximum layer of quotes now so I'll stop.

Politician - You don't have to quote everytime. Just click "Add reply" to reply without quoting,.

It isn't neccesary to quote, for example, if the person you are replying to is the last person to post on the thread or if you are replying to the thread in general.

Simillarly, if you are replying to the most recent post by someone simply begin your post like I began this one.

Really the quotes facility is best saved if you are replying to a specific post that is far back in the thread, or if you want to highlight a portion of a post you are replying to as Ans does in this post.

You can delete a portion of the quote to make it more obvious. (But be careful with the BBCode)

like this

Simillarly, if you are replying to the most recent post by someone simply begin your post like I began this one.

all you do is click the little qoute icon in the add reply then copy the bit you want people to read then click the quote sign again.

You can delete a portion of the quote to make it more obvious. (But be careful with the BBCode)

Don't forget the preview button will let you see what a mess you've made before you commit it to public viewing.

I don't believe it simply because of the facts. You have to garner support, motivate activists, publish leaflets and "factsheets" etc etc prior to election. Contemplating a move after a political victory which presumably you worked hard for and completing that move to an unknown lifestyle and political system to be "interested" in within a mere 13 months just does not ring true to me.

As for standing for Parliament here, I'd already decided that might be something I'd like to do before I moved. I certainly wouldn't have had the temerity to seek publicity here for my intentions seven months after moving

Seven months! I thought "The Argus" piece was only two months after moving to the island. Have I got that wrong?

The "scheduled" election for your post was three years away. Your justification for not calling it was the cost to the taxpayer. On your current residence the cost to your fellow taxpayers is zero. The cost to the taxpayers you are no longer there to represent is nothing to do with you, and you no longer contribute nor represent those who do! That is why I view your decision not to force an election due to the cost is all vapourware. The cost no longer has anything whatsoever to do with you!

As to what my constituents think, how would you presume to know? Almost certainly you have never even set foot in Worthing - and if you do have some connection with the town, maybe you should be good enough to tell me who you actually are.

As a (quasi) politician you should know better than to make a statement like this! It all stands on an assumption that if I have no connection with Worthing then you can beat down any claims to it I make. Bad mistake. Last year (2005) I attended a Humanist cremation up by the Racecourse for an Uncle who was a Brighton policemen virtually all his life. Not that it is relevant to your performance as a representative of the residents of Worthing, we all know what you think of them. Interestingly as I work near Stevenage Asda is relevant though. Care to comment?

PK - I owe you an apology. From your use of my full initials ("JRG Falk") and your reference to Tim Loughton in another thread, I assumed you might be someone from Worthing who actually knew me. Clearly that is not the case, so ignore my reference to "tell[ing] me who you actually are". The "Argus" piece was indeed published two months after my move - seven months is now. And you're right on one level about the cost of a by-election - none of the cost would fall on me. But I still think one has to be responsible when committing other people's money - and holding the by-election at the beginning of May (when there is a scheduled election in Durrington, for the other seat) will cost nothing.

Last year (2005) I attended a Humanist cremation up by the Racecourse for an Uncle who was a Brighton policemen virtually all his life. Not that it is relevant to your performance as a representative of the residents of Worthing, we all know what you think of them. Interestingly as I work near Stevenage Asda is relevant though. Care to comment?

woosh

Archived