Will Pubs Survive?

manxchatterbox

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Although this would normally go into the 'international' section, it does have relevance for the IoM with the proposed ban due to come into force in a year or two.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2214806,00.html

The Government takes more notice of scare stories than of evidence, a Lords committee has said

The ban on smoking in pubs was an over-reaction to the threat posed by passive smoking and symptomatic of MPs’ failure to understand the concept

The Lords Economic Affairs Committee accused the Government of kneejerk reactions to scare stories about health, saying it did not weigh the risks. Ministers placed insufficient weight on available scientific evidence and relied instead on “unsubstantiated reports” when formulating policy.

The committee cited the smoking ban as an example of a policy based on bad science, it having been sold to the public as necessary because of the apparent dangers of passive smoking.

Committee members questioned whether the Government had a scientific basis for the claim after Caroline Flint, the Health Minister, told the committee: “In relation to deaths from smoking and second-hand smoke, the most serious aspect is smoking in the home. Ninety-five per cent of deaths are related to smoking in the home.”

You think a smoking ban is bad? Glasgow have just taken steps to introduce a complete city wide glass ban. All those poor people sat in freezing cold front rooms in the winter.

If pubs want to survive they should sell decent food at realistic prices in a smoke-free environment.

Oh yes - and clean the place once in a while!

If pubs want to survive they should sell decent food at realistic prices in a smoke-free environment.

Wouldnt that be a restaurant then ? I mena the waterfall is a nice place to eat but its not a pub...IMO.

IMO they should serve decent beers rather than the putrid rubish lagers we are given here, and also some variety rather than every pub selling the same stuff !

You think a smoking ban is bad? Glasgow have just taken steps to introduce a complete city wide glass ban. All those poor people sat in freezing cold front rooms in the winter.

Glasgowegians+alcohol+glass = "see you jimmy what are you looking at? Take this ya bastard...."

But this reminds me of the story of the drunk thug in the bar of the boat to the Isle of Man about 30-35 years ago. He did his usual trick of glassing someone who looked at him wrong and made a quick escape out the door. In his drunken stupor he only then realised he was in the middle of the Irish Sea!

Wouldnt that be a restaurant then ? I mena the waterfall is a nice place to eat but its not a pub...IMO.

IMO they should serve decent beers rather than the putrid rubish lagers we are given here, and also some variety rather than every pub selling the same stuff !

When I go out it's to eat in a pub - that's where the profit is for them. Maybe I'm just spoilt by living on the continent where decent food and service at a low price is the norm.

Sadly too many Manx pubs sell poor food, the same school dinner rubbish.

I'm now off for lunch - it'll be three courses for about 6 or 7 quid - and that's in Switzerland.

When I go out it's to eat in a pub - that's where the profit is for them. Maybe I'm just spoilt by living on the continent where decent food and service at a low price is the norm.

Sadly too many Manx pubs sell poor food, the same school dinner rubbish.

I'm now off for lunch - it'll be three courses for about 6 or 7 quid - and that's in Switzerland.

The European mainland has 'bars' - 'pubs' are a rarity. We are now quite fortunate in that we have a variety - wine bars for those who have nervous breakdowns if their mobile phone doesn't ring at least once every two minutes; non-smoking pubs that have to depend almost entirely on flogging meals because real drinkers woudn't be seen dead in them; restaurants of (wildly!) varying standards and few (just a very precious few) 'pubs' where those who wish to can enjoy a beer and a cigarette.

I find it sad that the 'precious few' have been targeted in this way - surely there should be a choice?

Archived