Will Pubs Survive?

manxchatterbox

I'd imagine that they'll introduce it here in a half arsed way and you'll find people will just smoke in the toilets or ignore it. In Ireland both the premises owner and the offender is fined substantially. They also have health officials checking that it's enforced - not just pubs but all places of employment.

I hope they do it right. Let's not forget why it's being done. Not to piss people off who want to have a fag but to make it safer and healthier for employees in work places and everyone in public places. And while a minority of people might scream "nanny state", sometimes it's necessary to legislate to introduce change. This time it's a change which is positive and will have a positive effect on everyone's life whether they will admit it or not. The tobacco companies and breweries are not in the business of looking after the public's health, the Govt is and IMHO this will be good government (if they don't do it half assed).

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's probably reasonable to say that those who are in danger of losing their jobs as waiters/barmen due to this pathetic and ill-considered legislation could probably find themselves new careers as mortuary attendants - where the clientele will be livelier and more sociable than the health fascists who will undoubtedly crowd into the smoke and atmosphere-free pubs for a few weeks after the legislation comes into force.

Why does everyone only mention the pubs when the smoking ban gets talked about, go to Ireland and see all the little old ladies and mothers outside the cafe's having a fag. You can't smoke in them either have tea and cake sales gone down as well?

Years ago Parramount had a Balcony, they could always put it back for smokers, the round bar also had a balcony, as for the other clubs they will just have to put up or shut down. We use a club in Dublin for over 21s called Straks and at the weekend it used to be choka block but now that it non smoking its dead, and several of the local pubs in the area have decided to ignore the laws and they are real busy

How long before most nightclubs arrange to have an enclosed open air 'room' added to the building for smokers? Is this actually allowed under the act?

Yeah we found a place in Dublin that had a courtyard, with patio burners, it was covered but left a small space for sky (about a postage stamp size) to comply with regulations. It was packed but the main bar was empty.

Why go to a pub for a meal when you could go to a resturant, leave the pubs as they are meant to be

Totally agree. No food, no kids, women in the snug, no bloody music, no talking when the darts are on,

bad mannered landlords shouting time at the top of their voices,cloudy bitter and toilet floors swimming with

urine.

Seriously, I do not like food being served in pubs and I dont like kids in pubs or loud music.

I also dont like autocratic Government orders dictating where I cant smoke while, at the same time, the same Government rakes in massive revenues from those who choose to smoke.

I particularly dont like or accept the justification for barring smoking on health and safety grounds. What a load of hypocritical cobblers.

I wwas in the Villa lasy year for a dance night and the smoking ban in there didn't stop people having a good time, if people wanted a cigarette they went out the back. Was so nice to come home and not have minging smelling clothes.

Regards to beer prices, they go up... your wages go up. if the 2 sums aren't relative, have a word with your boss. If all else fails... Quids inn!

heard recently on MR someone from Lic Vit being encouraged byStu Peters to talk up the potential adverse impact of the proposed smoking ban - now the brewery have stuck up its prices...

The interview is here:

20060223_Mandate___Geoff_Joughin.mp3

Give Stu his due, he did say he was a smoker at the start. Unfortunately Geoff Joughin (from the Licensed Victuallers Association) sounds a bit like David McWilliams who is always on the Mannin Line, but he put forward views that would have been music to the interviewer's ears.

To my mind, smokers do not compromise, given time they will go to any lengths to feed their addiction. They will test the laws out first and then simply ignore them. Like the smokers over here, who simply shove two fingers up to No Smoking at the Bar.

What a pathetic 'rule' that has turned out to be.

Unfortunately I missed the film Soylent Green on Friday night. A film where people need a substance - Soylent Green. A substance made by 'them' and used to control the unwashed masses.

Well, it seems to me that the Island and of course our big brother UK, is getting to have it's very own Soylent Green in the way of alcohol (and nicotine).

If the smoking ban cuts down drinking then the only people who can possibly lose out is that handful of folk who own the brewery.

That money will be distributed elsewhere in time.

It's a spiralling drink culture we have just now.

r you serious? wont the people who own and work at the pubs lose out to. wont we all lose out if we go out less and interect with each other.

and mainly, wont we all just drink at home instead? where we are not govened by prices and drinking up time

we are not going to stop drinking or smoking ever,and why should we,what has my drinking got to do with anyone else but me. busybodies are the only ones who talk about spiraling drink cultures,mind your own.

Regarding who loses out - as I said, the money vast sums spent on alcohol will be distributed elsewhere in time. Although you will be just as much governed by prices when drinking at home.

Your drinking probably has little to do with anyone else especially Government. But you are also probably a reasonable person who can manage your own life and doesn't go fighting or beating up the wife or stealing etc.

But there are many many people who simply cannot control their own lives due to the involvement of drink.

Every single drunk person you see in Douglas - do you think they all set out be that drunk? Every Monday morning hangover and phoning in sick with 'one day flu' - do you think that was intended, planned?

And see how many of our rising band of drunkard thugs we read about in the papers who blame their behaviour on drink or simply tell the courts they couldn't remember what they did because they had been drinking.

So yes, some folk are apparently able to control their drinking habit - but a helluva lot can't. That is why there needs to be control.

Drink and the Isle of Man - it doesn't paint a very good picture does it.

Archived