Psp Firmware

germann

Just bought a PSP today. Thought it would go well with some goodness available from our friends over at Easynews.

Gutted when I got it out of the box and found that it came with firmware v2.5

Been trying to make sense of the various forums for the PSP, but most of them are a disorganised mess of kids making 'WTF-FFS-n000b' type 'contributions'.

Simple question for all you PSP folks here: Is it possible to downgrade the firmware? It appears that v1.5 is the one to have in order to, well, you know...

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Simple question for all you PSP folks here: Is it possible to downgrade the firmware? It appears that v1.5 is the one to have in order to, well, you know...

It wasn't but it maybe now, I haven't been intouch with all that for a good 6 months.

They were talking of either making something to allow for downgrading and failing that make what you want to use ;) work on a higher firmware.

Sorry that doesn't answer your question but I'm sure if it is possible you'll find it on one of the kiddy ridden forums.

i'm about to buy a psp but was told to get one with v2.0 or lower as the later ones can't be downgraded.

Not sure if that has changed yet though

According to a certain website it seems possible, but one thing I also noticed is it appears certain games such as GTA require firmware v2.0 upwards, and so would prompt you to upgrade.

Sony's way of forcing the upgrade therefore reducing the use of "certain" software.

A lot of people rave about the early Jap versions if you want to run "certain" software but even if you did get an earlier model you'd still have the problem with the recent titles.

i'm about to buy a psp but was told to get one with v2.0 or lower as the later ones can't be downgraded.

Not sure if that has changed yet though

Try to get hold of one with v1.5. At least then you are in control of what you want to do with your PSP. Think long & hard before upgrading the firmware. :angry:

I've been told you can downgrade, but some of the new games coming out will require higher revisions to function. I also heard there was a firmware emulator out there. So if your running 2.0, you can kid it into thinking you're running 2.5 :)

A quick search and I found an NFO regarding the above:

-> This is has not been tested, it could brick your PSP <-

-> I AM NOT RESPONSABLE FOR EVENTUALS DAMAGES <-

Downgrading 2.00 -> 1.50 method
-------------------------------

Requires :
----------

- PSP 2.00 (if you have an 1.51 or 1.52, update to 2.00)
- The 1.50 EBOOT.PBP update (included in package)
- MPHDowngrader (included in package)

Installation :
--------------

- Create a UPDATE folder in PSP/GAME/ folder of your memory stick
- Copy EBOOT.PBP (update 1.50) in UPDATE folder
- Unpack MPHDowngrader.zip
- Copy overflow.tif in your PSP/PHOTO/ folder of your memory stick
- Copy h.bin in root of your memory stick
- Copy index.dat in root of your memory stick
- Plug the AC adaptor

Then, enter in VSHELL PHOTO MENU, this will launch Version Changer.

Create an USB connection and if the Version Changer has been installed, a new file is created in
your root of your memory stick (ms0:/index.dat.bak).

Then go to VSHELL GAME MENU and launch 1.50 update.

Follow the instructions ...

MPH

More information about the above release : http://www.hackaday.com/entry/1234000687060851/

Also regarding fooling the PSP into thinking you're running 2.0:

54. Posted Sep 29, 2005, 6:34 PM ET by Naru

@ #47 mrkickboots:

on PSPupdates.com, there is a program in the download center (under "tools") that allows you to launch games that require the upgrade. It works on my SOCOM beta, but from what I hear, the only game it doesn't work on is FIFA Soccer, but who plays that anyways :P

I bought one in the US with 1.52, also got GTA with it which required 2.00 -- did this then successfully downgraded to 1.5.

now GTA can be played on 1.5 from a memory card (nice loading times!) with a firmware emulator, i grabbed a release of it all ready to go, copied to mem card and it works fine :)

www.ps2nfo.com is quite handy for this sort of thing

I bought one in the US with 1.52, also got GTA with it which required 2.00 -- did this then successfully downgraded to 1.5.

now GTA can be played on 1.5 from a memory card (nice loading times!) with a firmware emulator, i grabbed a release of it all ready to go, copied to mem card and it works fine :)

www.ps2nfo.com is quite handy for this sort of thing

is it actually straight forward to downgrade?

Archived