Solway Harvester

Hugh Jampton

without being insensitive, they should never have brought the bloody thing up in the first place.

not too sure, but I think all bodies of the unfortunate crewmembers were recovered prior to the wreck being raised.

cause of the sinking was known prior to bringing the vessel up (open hatch cover), so raising the wreck served no purpose what-so-ever, it would have been better to give the money used for raising the wreck (c.£1m) to the families of the vicitms and left the wreck down there.

then we wouldn't have an eyesore and constant reminder of the tragedy tied up to the quayside.

However, hindsight is a wonderful thing, and i tend to agree with sideways as the best way forward now. Break it up, sell for scrap, give money,if any, to RNLI.

I think we feel sorry for all involved in this tragic disaster but leaving the thing on show is a bit insensitive.

its like leaving a crashed car where people died on the side of the road where it happened.

Think of the families and the pain they must feel when they see it.

About time donald gelling did something with it.

After all he was the brains behind lifting it.

should have stayed below not rasied for the ghouls to look at.

I don't like it being there either and it's been there so long that any 'use' or need for it to be there must long since have passed so it should be sent back to the bottom where it now belongs or possibly as has been suggested be scrapped & the money given to charity.

Archived