Pre-cast Concrete Slabs For The New Prison

manxchatterbox

Have just been thinking about the road reports and the warning about the transportation of pre-cast concrete slabs from the ferry in Douglas up to Jurby.

1) why aren't the slabs brought in by ship/barge to Ramsey?

2) why even are the slabs being brought in already pre-cast? surely they could be cast on site? itys not as though such hasn't been done before 'cos the stabits for the breakwater were cast on the Island and surely the shape of them is more complet than the slabs for the new prison..

so who are we paying to cast the slabs off Island ?

who is the haulage firm paid to transport them?

and what is the IOMSPCo cost?

surely the bulk importation of dry cement would have been cheaper?

who decided on awarding the contract for the slabs??

...another big waste of taxpayers money? who is benefitting from the feeding trough??

Have just been thinking about the road reports and the warning about the transportation of pre-cast concrete slabs from the ferry in Douglas up to Jurby.

1) why aren't the slabs brought in by ship/barge to Ramsey?

2) why even are the slabs being brought in already pre-cast? surely they could be cast on site? itys not as though such hasn't been done before 'cos the stabits for the breakwater were cast on the Island and surely the shape of them is more complet than the slabs for the new prison..

so who are we paying to cast the slabs off Island ?

who is the haulage firm paid to transport them?

and what is the IOMSPCo cost?

surely the bulk importation of dry cement would have been cheaper?

who decided on awarding the contract for the slabs??

...another big waste of taxpayers money? who is benefitting from the feeding trough??

Well I bow to your expertese on the making of prefabricated concrete slabs. Ever considered the fact that it may be quicker and/or cheaper to do it this way?

The new prison is a pre fab constrution based on a design from off Island, the facilities to construct are not available here so it has to be imported. Its an Irish firm that have the contract and is a firm that have done this work before , its a cheap design. you only have to take a look at the H blocks in Belfast to get some sort of idea what we are getting. Government dont give a dam as long as they get something built at the right price and know that Joe Public dont know wat theve go

The new prison is a pre fab constrution based on a design from off Island, the facilities to construct are not available here so it has to be imported. Its an Irish firm that have the contract and is a firm that have done this work before , its a cheap design. you only have to take a look at the H blocks in Belfast to get some sort of idea what we are getting. Government dont give a dam as long as they get something built at the right price and know that Joe Public dont know wat theve go

On the basis that you can't find dry-rot in new concrete blocks at least it will stop a price overrun like the other projects they've done.

Ever considered the fact that it may be quicker and/or cheaper to do it this way?

I agree with that thought...

Actually drove past there the other week - it seems to be growing steadily:

post-1086-1140992275_thumb.jpg post-1086-1140992252_thumb.jpg

post-1086-1140992299_thumb.jpg

Looks bigger than I thought...

Oh, and spotted this thing on the way:

post-1086-1140992388_thumb.jpg

Anyone know the story behind it? Obviously some WWII bunker thing - you weren't scared of ze Germans invading back then, were you? :ph34r:

Ever considered the fact that it may be quicker and/or cheaper to do it this way?

I agree with that thought...

Actually drove past there the other week - it seems to be growing steadily:

post-1086-1140992275_thumb.jpg post-1086-1140992252_thumb.jpg

post-1086-1140992299_thumb.jpg

Looks bigger than I thought...

Oh, and spotted this thing on the way:

post-1086-1140992388_thumb.jpg

Anyone know the story behind it? Obviously some WWII bunker thing - you weren't scared of ze Germans invading back then, were you? :ph34r:

Great photos Amadeus. Did you not know that Jurby (and Andreas, I think), were WWII RAF bases? That's why there is an airfield at Jurby. The only reason it was never bombed was because there were no chip shops! Old joke which you may not have heard of.

Old joke which you may not have heard of.

Not have heard of? :blink:

If there's any joke I've heard a million+ times since I moved away from ze Heimatland, then it's that one - and I shall repeat my justification for "us" (it wasn't me..) bombing that poor woman's chip shop once again: We only had your health in mind, and tried to prevent the spread of obesity amongst the population back then, which this fatty and unhealthy Fish and Chips stuff would certainly have furthered - well, it didn't work, and now see what you got...

The deckchairs are still our territory, though....

..and that's just the staff bike shed!

Of course, we knew how to keep you bloody Bavarians OUT in my day...

Bloody Bavarians?!? :o:blink:

Dear Mr Grumble: "Bloody Austrians" may be acceptable, "Bloody Bavarians" truly isn't, as I am from Bavaria, the best, and most proud part of Germany - after this insult (which, in times long gone, would have called for a Duell at dawn at the least), you may want to check the above pictured bunker for its functionality, as you shall truly need its protection once I get my hands on you - Bloody Bavarians - I just don't believe that.. :)

isn't there a security issue with photos being taken of how the prison is being constructed.....I mean future potential Stalag escapees will know the weak spots where/how to tunnel out won't they???

Yeah, I guess that's why the paper published an aerial picture of the site last week - you've been watching "The Great Escape" a few times too many, Numpty!

Archived