Eh? Levels

Speckled Frost

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To me, "A" signifies a high achievement in a subject - only achieved by a select 'few'. The fact that multiple "A" grades are becoming common-place means either exams are getting easier (as some suggest) or students/conditions are better (due to improved teaching, learning aids etc). Whatever peoples beliefs, the exams need to be made more difficult to make the percentile of "A"s smaller.

I think they should decide on the % of people they'd like in each grade bracket and adjust the difficulty to match. The catchment for an A grade appears too broad, while there are very, very intelligent people getting an A grades, half-intelligent people also get A grades.

I think the fact universities are considering implementing their own entrance exams/essays shows they're losing confidence. Another indicator is that employers dont "always" look at the paper to judge the person's ability. I've met people with degrees who are, to be honest - right numnuts. On the otherhand, I've met others who are very intelligent, able individuals. I think thats why Oxford/Cambridge degrees are more valuable than random-course, random-college degree which is more an exercise in course-work than educational achievement,

How do you come to that conclusion, are you one of those people that's saying  A levels and exams are easier. You have already said having a degree doesn't mean a person is bright.
imagine how hard exams were when you were not allowed to take calculators in or even before calculators were invented. Exams are easier no doubt about it, although yes people work harder these days and information is more readily available but to compensate exams should be getting harder not easier.
Hmm, when did you last do an A level or a degree for that matter.

I take it you have a degree in your chosen field which would qualify you as one of the bright ones but if anyone passes a degree these days they can't possibly be as bright as you eh, so that means their degree isn't as good as yours eh.

Exams are just as hard as they were years ago, it's just that revision and learning are the key factors to passing them and more students have realized this.

Degrees are worth having and aren't easy to pass.

If someone has passed their A levels or a degree they deserve respect for passing, putting the hours in and getting the results they've got.

Still, they do say ignorance is bliss.

I dont claim to be any big brain but sorry but I know loads of people who have done degrees with no brains whatsoever.And loads of very clever people who havent.

this is laughable

If a person has bothered to study for a degree and passed, or is studying for a degree, whether after just leaving school or later on in life means they are bright, far brighter than someone who hasn't or couldn't be bothered to study for one.
so you blanket anyone who has done a degree as being brighter than someone who hasnt? anyone, even someone with a degree can see that that is ludicrous. what if someone deosnt do a begree, they are not as bright as someone who has, but then they do their degree in later life, do they suddenly become dead bright?

it looks these days like there are more people going to uni than arent and it devalues the degree I think.

people are doing degrees in 'David Beckham Studies' or 'surfing' or anything, its daft.

I agree with Kelly here. Someone who has gone to university and gotten a degree isn't necessarily brighter than someone who hasn't. It shows that they have some degree of intelligence, but the main thing it shows is that they have obviously been more keen to carry on their education to a higher level and possibly have more drive to attain more from their chosen career path than others. On the other hand, there's no denying that many employers would prefer to employ a person (for certain jobs) educated to degree level than one who obtained GCSE passes and decided to end their education at that level. I worked in human resources for a large accountancy firm and they would only take on degree students for certain jobs, not so much because they believed these people were necessarily brighter, but because it showed that they were willing and determined to put in the work and do the further study in order to achieve more and better themselves, they were more likely to be more driven to complete exams required to be taken whilst training for the job. Must admit that's something I couldn't really understand..........taking on a person for an accountancy job because they'd obtained a degree in Philosophy. Although, going back to Jay's point about being overqualified, I also know people who I went to school with who went on to university, gained their degree and came back only to find great difficulty in getting a job.

I agree with Kelly here.
yes!, a first for me on here.

Someone who has gone to university and gotten a degree isn't necessarily brighter than someone who hasn't.  It shows that they have some degree of intelligence, but the main thing it shows is that they have obviously been more keen to carry on their education to a higher level and possibly have more drive to attain more from their chosen career path than others.
or it shows they are work shy [;)]

Oh well - here's a 2nd for you as I agree too.

*(Edited to substantiate the above statement in that I am in agreement with the principal that people who have applied themselves to a formal education are not automatically smarter than those who haven't)

Kelly Wrote

so you blanket anyone who has done a degree as being brighter than someone who hasnt? anyone, even someone with a degree can see that that is ludicrous.
Isn't that what I said.

what if someone deosnt do a begree, they are not as bright as someone who has, but then they do their degree in later life, do they suddenly become dead bright?

Are you Stevens sister?

Archived