Evening Standard Article

haX0red_Account

chris blackhurst's a good journalist, clearly immune to our gov's spin anyway- even though this £100k max tax idea I think is a work of genius! (maybe...) but what does everyone think about this article? I've got mixed views to be honest- think there's probably a lot juicier topics to pick on instead of official tax policy but from what I know of his work, there may be other chapters to this one I reckon

Here it is ..........

"We have had quite a bit of positive publicity after the budget from the likes of the Financial Times and indeed the Daily Telegraph.

Now here comes the flip side of the coin in the form of a Chris Blackhurst feature for the Evening Standard.

Mr Blackhurst does not like the way the Isle of Man operates its economy.

In an article last night in the STandard, entitled "Zero rate these fairy tales from fantasy Island", Mr Blackhurst first describes a visit to the (presumably) former registry to check up on a company. He speaks of bored looking officials, dusty rooms and "a smirk on the officials face when I told him what I wanted". "Welcome to corporate disclosure Manx style" he adds.

He goes on to say that "doubtless the authorities will say much has changed" but then continues " baloney. The day that the Isle of Man and other places like it operate to the same standards of transparency that apply elsewhere will be the day they go out of business".

He goes on to refer to Allan Bell "and his cronies" as he puts it and the proposed personal tax-liability cap. After speculating who might be attracted to the island by this move, he goes on to wonder why Gordon Brown hasn't taken action. "Perhaps he's a closet TT motorcycling fan at heart", he ruminates, " or he gets swept along with the guff the island tourist office churns out".

That's Chris Blackhurst, a business writer in last night London Evening Standard.

Why do I quote him. Because this article will get quite a wide coverage and listeners and readers might just as well know what was in the article.

With the useful press that the 2006 budget and various tax moves engendered, there cannot be too much surprise that some would not be impressed by the island or its "modus operandi". "

Except when he thought I was Manxchatterbox! The very idea!

I wasn't being serious then. (Should have used a smilie). After all, there no way you could pull of creating a crap politician's account to discredit in order to launch your own political career.

Except when he thought I was Manxchatterbox! The very idea!

I wasn't being serious then. (Should have used a smilie). After all, there no way you could pull of creating a crap politician's account to discredit in order to launch your own political career.

Yes, particularly as I have no political ambition other than, in more wistful moments, thoughts of standing against MCB for vexation value!

Aah, but on the hustings would anyone know which candidate was me and which was MCB? Because as sure as hell, I would have to take a very extreme opposite stand to her, ending up looking just as looney as she seems to be from her posts! It would end up a cat fight between two pre-menopausal women; Oil of Evening Primrose at dawn!

Not edited to add: I'm sure MCB is sincere in her beliefs and it is just the loose-canon presentation on this forum which does her no favours.

Archived