Police Van - Camera

slinkydevil

Anyone noticed the police van parked just up from Kates Cottage on the mountain this week? It has an 'up-periscope' camara mounted quite high above it and no one sat in the front, so someone is obviously tinkering in the back.

Any info? Is this the numberplate checker that looks into tax (ANPR Van?) etc? No speed limit and its a slow corner anyway.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thinl you should add a poll to this topic, giving people some options to vote for as to the exact purpose of this vehicle:-

1. Speed Detection

2. Numberplate checking

3. Multi-tasking checker (talking onmobile, shaving, putting on makeup etc)

4. Err...

I saw one on Braddan Bridge say "Police Command Unit" or similar. Like a long transit with a few bits and bobs on it.

A talking van! - or did you lip read the bumpers?

That van holds all the public awareness signs -

post-1804-1141221671_thumb.jpg

I saw one on Braddan Bridge say "Police Command Unit" or similar. Like a long transit with a few bits and bobs on it.

Yeah it's the Police Command Unit transit that's just above Kate's Cottage, albeit with a periscope/cam type thingy on top

Instead of threatening to spend money on speed cameras that would become ineffective once their location was known, a couple of unmarked police cars should be obtained and put to work catching speeders and the too often elusive dangerous drivers.

Don't forces in other juristrictions have lease agreements with car companies so that they can exchange the car after a few months as to maintain the annominity?

Instead of threatening to spend money on speed cameras that would become ineffective once their location was known, a couple of unmarked police cars should be obtained and put to work catching speeders and the too often elusive dangerous drivers.

Don't forces in other juristrictions have lease agreements with car companies so that they can exchange the car after a few months as to maintain the annominity?

Wouldn't that fall under entrapment?

I know of someone, who was " caught " speeding, but pleaded the case, that the police officer wasn't able to be seen.

So it was thrown out of court.

As I know now, they have to be visable in there reflective jackets. Because of the above.

As they used to just stand whever they wanted.

I thought for entrapment they'd have to put the person in a situation where they would want to break the law in the first place? Like, they somehow made the person speed over the limit and then caught them at the other end.

It falls under the same case they had across the pond with the GATSO cameras.

Now they have to be " clearly visable ", as a few people appealed againist there tickets and won.

I'll try and find link if I can.

Archived