Manx Abortion Laws

AndyK

Touchy subject and one I am against myself but I do believe there should be exceptions. Accidents happen, rape happens and even young girls who are not educated enough or foolish fall pregnant. There are case’s were I do believe the abortion pill (Mifepriston, Mifegyn, Mifeprex) should be made legal over here. This pill is only for women who are no more than 9 weeks pregnant and my reason for believing this is ok is because at this stage there is no life. I know this is going to raise some very different views but many people can and do fall pregnant by no mistake of their own.

Please understand I am against abortion but only after 9 weeks when life starts to form, until then I believe that the Manx law should allow for the abortion pill.

English law changed in 1967 and they do full abortions, i am against this because the fetus at this stage is a living human being but at 9 weeks and before its not.

"What if a women is raped or a young girl falls pregnant"

Er...I think if you've had unprotected sex then you have 72 hours in which to take the morning after pill...so if you don't do something about the situation in that period then obviously you don't regard your body and your own welfare as a high priority so deserve the situation you find yourself in after that......

Er...I think if you've had unprotected sex then you have 72 hours in which to take the morning after pill...so if you don't do something about the situation in that period then obviously you don't regard your body and your own welfare as a high priority so deserve the situation you find yourself in after that......

Rape is a very traumatic experience, and I'm sure that there are many cases where the victim would be way too traumatised to take sensible options such as the morning after pill within 72 hours.

Rape is a very emotive subject, and to demand that any rape victim takes the termination pill within 72 hours or has to take the (Possible) pregnancy to full term is an idiotic ideology. And to say that a person deserves to find themself in this situation after going through the trauma of being raped just defies belief. Your credibility rating after that comment has, in my opinion, just dropped down to zero.

I can't see why the "morning after pill" is not offered as a matter of course as part of the immediate health care support given to such victims... maybe it is..if it isn't then surely there is something wrong with the care and medical counselling procedures..after all if you have been raped then becomming pregant and carrying and bearing your tormentor and abuser's child is the the nightmare of every victim...

I can't see why the "morning after pill" is not offered as a matter of course as part of the immediate health care support given to such victims... maybe it is..if it isn't then surely there is something wrong with the care and medical counselling procedures..after all if you have been raped then becomming pregant is the the nightmare of every victim...

Ignoring the obvious of course ... that many women don't report rape until much later as they are trumatised / hurt / embarrassed by what has happened and don't want to go through the added trauma of police questions and medical exams.

Also what about abuse within families which goes largely unreported until its too late.

I would love to live in your "black and white" world.

It would be true to say you aren't in the feminist camp then ?

The abortion pill is taken under very well controlled conditions and over a few days course (two pills). the law over here really should change to allow for the 9 week and before abortion pill

I think that there definitely should be exceptions for having an abortion, fair enough people cant just use it as a form of contraception but sometimes accidents happen and you just think that you will be ok, then next thing you know you are pregnant.

I also agree that before 9 weeks taking the abortion pill for certain circumstances should be made legal, but that it would be at the doctors discretion.

Don't really agree with the availability at ANY stage, except for proven medical reasons. Far better is to educate young girls about the dangers of unprotected sex, and also to return a bit of the taboo of teenage pregnancy, rather than accept it as just one of those things! A bit of fear of being "caught out" would go a long way!

Accidents do happen, but that should be the exception rather than the rule.

And before we get the welter of horrified responses; think about it, it's not just about what is now socially acceptable or morality, it's about the deprivation of a proper teenage life and development for your daughter and the proper upbringing of a child born to a child.

Archived