Equailty And Inclusive Broadcasting On Manx Radio...

manxchatterbox

Following the removal of Section 38 from the Sexual Offences Act when is Manx Radio, the "National Broadcaster" going to employ an identified gay/lesbian presenter/broadcaster?

....and provide the gay/lesbian community with targeted and appropriately diverse programe content in its broadcasting?

...the gay/lesbian community pay taxes too which will be included in the increasing financial subvention Government pays over to support Manx Radio's broadcasting...

...if the National Broadcaster doesn't quickly and voluntarily accept its responsibilities by providing a socially inclusive service to the whole community should it be tasked to do so?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Following the removal of Section 38 from the Sexual Offences Act when is Manx Radio, the "National Broadcaster" going to employ an identified gay/lesbian presenter/broadcaster?

....and provide the gay/lesbian community with targeted and appropriately diverse programe content in its broadcasting?

...the gay/lesbian community pay taxes too which will be included in the increasing financial subvention Government pays over to support Manx Radio's broadcasting...

...if the National Broadcaster doesn't quickly and voluntarily accept its responsibilities by providing a socially inclusive service to the whole community should it be tasked to do so?

There is nothing in MR which excludes you, why do you feel that you need something special?

I have interests which are not covered by MR but I don't complain.

Someone from the Ellan Vannin Gay and Lesbian Society (I think that was the name) was interviewed on tonight's Mandate re S.38. What more does MR have to do? Other programmes are not centred on a particular sexuality, so why choose homosexuality as an area for special treatment?

"...if the National Broadcaster doesn't quickly and voluntarily accept its responsibilities by providing a socially inclusive service to the whole community should it be tasked to do so?"

But they still broadcast "Mandate" don't they. Its always sounded a pretty gay programme to me. Or is that something else.

so straight away we have teh sterotypical homophobic response...

Homophobia is the irrational hatred, intolerance, and fear of lesbian, gay and bisexual people.

These prejudicial feelings fuel the myths, stereotypes, discrimination and violence against people who are lesbian, gay or bisexual.

The UK government reckon that somewhere between 5 - 7 % of the population is gay / lesbian / bisexual - shouldn't that mean that at least that amount of airtime is devoted to gay / lesbian / bisexual program content.

I supported the repeal of section 38 fully, I was the student that organised the petition at QEII.

But.... I do not agree with positive discrimination.

NOBODY should be given or denied a job based on sexuality, and that includes Manx Radio. Employment should be based on the ability to do the job...nothing else.

so straight away we have teh sterotypical homophobic response...

Homophobia is the irrational hatred, intolerance, and fear of lesbian, gay and bisexual people.

These prejudicial feelings fuel the myths, stereotypes, discrimination and violence against people who are lesbian, gay or bisexual.

The UK government reckon that somewhere between 5 - 7 % of the population is gay / lesbian / bisexual - shouldn't that mean that at least that amount of airtime is devoted to gay / lesbian / bisexual program content.

Jeez ... take a humour tablet. I have a dictionary ... I know what homophobia is (and how to spell it). I don't need a lecture. I would guess even most gay people would not take offence at that posting (answers on a postcard please ....)

and 7% of the UK population have taken cocaine too according to the news today, can we expect a dedicated slot for those too?

I've been helplessly attracted to bondage since I was 9, how about a slot for me and my master too?

and 7% of the UK population have taken cocaine too according to the news today, can we expect a dedicated slot for those too?

I've been helplessly attracted to bondage since I was 9, how about a slot for me and my master too?

"Good morning its Coke & Bondage hour with Alex Brindley"

You could well be the saviour of MR!!

It isnt absolutely certain, IMHO, that MR devotes air time to heterosexual program content. Whatever that may be.

By the same token it isnt necessarily the case that MR should devote air time to program content specifically aimed at any sexual orientation.

However, it may be you have something specific in mind. What do you suggest or what would you like to see done ?

I am often accused on here of being homophobic. Unfortunately for my detractors I do not fear them and my hatred and intolerance of them is all completely rational.

I have also been accused of being racist for simply pointing out that a certain community sector lived in dreadful housing and acted accordingly- not exactly my fault and a million miles away from being racist.

In my opinion it is all a sign of these awful pc times that individuals get up on their hind legs and bang on about "equal" rights for minorities. We live in a democracy i.e. majority rules. That doesn't mean the majority should ignore the minority. But the minority sure as hell should not be dictating to the majority how they should change to fit in with them! It really should be the other way around. In any event in the main the "minority" already have the same rights as the "majority". The gay community get equal rights to education, health care, basic amenities etc etc.

Say MR do give appropriate (whatever that is) airtime to the gay community. If so why not equal airtime to those with big noses, or ginger hair, or jug-ears? Personally I'm in favour of more media coverage for women with large breasts but they do get a fair bit already I'm pleased to say.

MR should be broadcasting programs that appeal to the majority. So where does that leave the gay community? I for one don't care. Their problem.

Edited to add England 0 Uruguay 1.

I am often accused on here of being homophobic. Unfortunately for my detractors I do not fear them and my hatred and intolerance of them is all completely rational.

I have also been accused of being racist for simply pointing out that a certain community sector lived in dreadful housing and acted accordingly- not exactly my fault and a million miles away from being racist.

In my opinion it is all a sign of these awful pc times that individuals get up on their hind legs and bang on about "equal" rights for minorities. We live in a democracy i.e. majority rules. That doesn't mean the majority should ignore the minority. But the minority sure as hell should not be dictating to the majority how they should change to fit in with them! It really should be the other way around. In any event in the main the "minority" already have the same rights as the "majority". The gay community get equal rights to education, health care, basic amenities etc etc.

Say MR do give appropriate (whatever that is) airtime to the gay community. If so why not equal airtime to those with big noses, or ginger hair, or jug-ears? Personally I'm in favour of more media coverage for women with large breasts but they do get a fair bit already I'm pleased to say.

MR should be broadcasting programs that appeal to the majority. So where does that leave the gay community? I for one don't care. Their problem.

Congratulations on how you manage to make so many threads into threads about you and your forum persecution complex.

Mia - ow.

Agree with you wholeheartedly PK! The PC brigade have really served their purpose, they have identified that there are certain minorities around who need to be recognised and tolerated. Having done that, we now need to accept that they do, actually, make up part of the majority and mainstream. Continuing to focus on the "minorities" only serves to perpetuate the belief that they are outside of the mainstream and deserve special treatment, which can only further marginalise in a continuing vicious circle.

Archived