Dtl Sea Terminal

Uni

Today, I was very fortunate to be chosen as the DTL's Gordon Freeman of the day. My mission was to enter Black Mesa (Sea Terminal DTL) and retrieve server and computer hardware which was currently being cleaned. Although putting my life 20 years from now on the line, no that wasn't thrill enough - the best part was, I got my HEV Suit :D Pictured below:

Uni_HL.jpg

I couldn't find a crowbar anywhere, but hopefully avoided any Asbestos :)

Today, I was very fortunate to be chosen as the DTL's Gordon Freeman of the day. My mission was to enter Black Mesa (Sea Terminal DTL) and retrieve server and computer hardware which was currently being cleaned. Although putting my life 20 years from now on the line, no that wasn't thrill enough - the best part was, I got my HEV Suit :D Pictured below:

post-1-1141333938_thumb.jpg

I couldn't find a crowbar anywhere, but hopefully avoided any Asbestos :)

"Take me to your leader" :P

oops, thought this was the caption competition :lol:

The Victoria Terminal was demolished in 1961 and the Sea Terminal opened in 1965, so the actual year falls somewhere between the two.

Edited to add: probably took more than a year to build in any case.

Asbestos was widely recognised and very well known to be a hazardous material in the 60’s and well before then as well.

Questions really should be raised on the professional competence of any architect who specified this material for use in a public building in the 60’s.

Mind you, the decision to use flammable Oroglass as the cladding on the ill fated Summerland building with no water quenching system also should have seen very seriously pointed questions being asked or architects and designers after what took place.

It wouldn’t have been the same firm of architects in both cases would it? I really can’t remember.

The Victoria Terminal was demolished in 1961 and the Sea Terminal opened in 1965, so the actual year falls somewhere between the two.

Edited to add: probably took more than a year to build in any case.

Asbestos was widely recognised and very well known to be a hazardous material in the 60’s and well before then as well.

Questions really should be raised on the professional competence of any architect who specified this material for use in a public building in the 60’s.

Mind you, the decision to use flammable Oroglass as the cladding on the ill fated Summerland building with no water quenching system also should have seen very seriously pointed questions being asked or architects and designers after what took place.

It wouldn’t have been the same firm of architects in both cases would it? I really can’t remember.

Can't tell you about the architects.

Asbestos was used in constructions during the early sixties provided it was enclosed. I used to work in an office block from probably the same era and in which asbestos was found behind the ceilings; used as a fireblock I think. I'm sure a quick google will tell you when it was outright banned in construction.

As for Summerland, there were some very serious questions asked about the use of Oroglass after the fire. From memory, it was the extensive use that was criticised, but those were different days with different levels of knowledge and acceptance of risk. That incident prompted many reforms in building fire safety regulations in the UK and, probably, wider afield. Not that I am making little of the terrible loss of life, but just pointing out that it is difficult to apply standards of today to events long in the past, as it is from those past events that we have learnt the lessons which form the basis of our understanding and expectations today. If you get my drift!

Archived