Douglas Corporation On The Lavish Spend (2)

manxchatterbox

at the ratepayers expense.....Cllr D W Christian as Chair of the Environmental Improvements Committee and the Borough Engineer & Surveyor...were approved to attend the "Cleaner Safer Greener Newtwork Conference" in Sheffield on 27th & 28th Feb.

What has that trip just cost the ratepayers?

What quatified value is going to be returned to the ratepayers from attending the "glitzy" event?

link:-

http://www.encams.org/csgnetwork/downloads...form_agenda.pdf

I have! During the mid 80's, I lived there for a year. It was the saddest city I have ever seen (height of the Thatcher, close it era)! But am told it is a really vibrant place now.

There was a TV scareumentary filmed in the 80's about how we would cope with a nuclear blast and it used the "open-eye" convergance of sub-ways as its main focal point. Always felt a bit queezy walking through that!

But it had some really good points, namely the Leadmill, which I gather is still going!

I was in Sheffield this weekend, it's quite a nice city actually, better than Stoke anyway. Yeah the leadmill is still going, got a few good bands lined up as well, I'm tempted to make the journey up there again.

at the ratepayers expense.....Cllr D W Christian as Chair of the Environmental Improvements Committee and the Borough Engineer & Surveyor...were approved to attend the "Cleaner Safer Greener Newtwork Conference"......

Maybe I'm missing something here, but weren't you on here the other day spouting about certain places of Douglas being dirty?

In which case the leader of the Council going on this sort of thing sounds pretty sensible to me.

Dickspit

I presume this is an environmental conference. As some of us would like the IOM to become a centre of excellence in this field we should be supporting David with this. It is important that we are part of the national network. The cost of the trip will be very worthwhile IMHO.

MCB

I don't know. Can you give me a clue?

I am simply putting a word in for the "greens" which is not to say I am uninterested in the cost and in getting value for money. I am. There is an increasing green lobby on this Island which is great as we need to maintain the beauty of our countryside. The combination of the Douglas Development Partnership and the Corporation has been good.

We should acknowledge our councillors and officials are overwhelmingly decent hard working people. It is very difficult for them to do their job if everything they do is questioned without good reason.

However I support people like yourself who ask questions. All power to your elbow. You are providing a valuable input to our political process. It might be good though to be more discriminating - less questions in total,and make some positive suggestions so that people take more notice of the important matters and give you credit where credit is due.

Some of us find it difficult to cope with a barrage of questions and your spirited onslaught but that may be because there is fertile ground to explore!

Good luck. You have your work cut out if you are going to stand in South Douglas!

Good luck. You have your work cut out if you are going to stand in South Douglas!

Standing and being elected are two different things.

The first question I will ask of anyone canvassing at my doorstep will be "Are you MCB?". If the answer is "Yes" then I will close the door there and then!

If MCB is really intending to stand, then he/she should make his/her identity known on this forum as there has been quite some electioneering going on anonymously which, IMO, is contrary to all democratic principles.

So MCB either reveal yourself or STFU!

Simply because, on this forum, MCB has revealed the depth of his/her ignorance and, when it comes time to vote, I would like to know which candidate has that particular trait!

I would also like to know which candidate finds counting after 2 tricky!

Glad to be back,

I never shut the door on anyone. I like to know what they have to say for themselves.

Anyone who stands has my blessing as it is a courageous step to take. If they have put their names forward, the very least the public can do is give them a fair hearing face to face - new candidates and sitting members alike.

Simply because, on this forum, MCB has revealed the depth of his/her ignorance and, when it comes time to vote, I would like to know which candidate has that particular trait!

I would also like to know which candidate finds counting after 2 tricky!

How do you know that the candidates that don't post on here don't have simillar depths of ignorance and lack of numerary skills?

Archived