Sitting Members - One At A Time (9)

Lonan3

Would you vote for  

75 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In fairness to Tim Loughton, he is an extremely good MP - and I think his performance figures prove that. However, I suspect from the tone of your post that you have something of a "party political" agenda here. I do, however, agree that the website in question is an excellent tool in exposing MPs to public scrutiny.

What "party political" agenda would that be?

Just quoting the facts.

By the way, how can he claim the maximum overnight accommodation (Number #1 in the HOC) when his "declared interests" include a flat in London?

Clearly he is a shining light in propriety and "an extremely good MP" (apparently) but the above contradiction is something of a puzzle. Wouldn't you agree?

I'm aware that this is not what the thread is about. But even so....

In fairness to Tim Loughton, he is an extremely good MP - and I think his performance figures prove that. However, I suspect from the tone of your post that you have something of a "party political" agenda here. I do, however, agree that the website in question is an excellent tool in exposing MPs to public scrutiny.

What "party political" agenda would that be?

Just quoting the facts.

By the way, how can he claim the maximum overnight accommodation (Number #1 in the HOC) when his "declared interests" include a flat in London?

Clearly he is a shining light in propriety and "an extremely good MP" (apparently) but the above contradiction is something of a puzzle. Wouldn't you agree?

I'm aware that this is not what the thread is about. But even so....

What "party political" agenda? Well, an anti-Conservative one. I was just surprised to see a comment about a Sussex politician in an Isle of Man thread. Tim's claim for the maximum accommodation allowance has indeed attracted a certain amount of comment, but I'm sure he has his reasons.

What "party political" agenda? Well, an anti-Conservative one.

Sorry but no. I picked Tim Loughton to check his #1 spot out of the "Porkbolter" site quoted by Juan Kerr.

Tim's claim for the maximum accommodation allowance has indeed attracted a certain amount of comment, but I'm sure he has his reasons.

Errr.... like greed perhaps? First name terms, bless......

Actually I think as far as claiming their "allowances" goes they're all as bad as one another.

I wouldnt want to be over critical of anyone's personal abilities but, IMHO, with the best will in the world,

Peter Karran lacks the intellectual ability to be an effective politician

He lacks the one basic skill needed to be an effective Parliamentarian. He has no debating skills.

Peter Karran, in my opinion, is a poor politician. I believe him to be limited by his lack of education and his own intellectual boundaries.

It is a mystery to me how he continues to attract such support and loyalty from his constituents

I thought he did excellent work for his constituents? After all, it's not all about scoring soundbites in the chamber.

At the end of the day for honesty and integrity he's head and shoulders above most, IMHO of course.

If you live in Onchan you will have three MHKs, so you can vote for two "sensible" MHKs and Peter

But if I'm paying for a three course meal, I don't expect to get two good dishes and one rather overcooked, or leaving a foul taste.

But look what we have at the moment - Karran, Earnshaw and Corkill

You can't really expect to always get all three of your choices elected as MHKs, you often have to settle for 2 out of 3 or perhaps even 1 out of 3

I recently had to write to my MHKs so I wrote to Karran and Earnshaw (Corkill no longer exists as an Oncahn MHK in my mind) and surprisingly the quiet man Earnshaw was more quicker and more responsive than Karran

"I recently had to write to my MHKs so I wrote to Karran and Earnshaw (Corkill no longer exists as an Oncahn MHK in my mind) and surprisingly the quiet man Earnshaw was more quicker and more responsive than Karran"

Just lucky. He was probably sat at home scratching his arse with a pencil when your letter arrived on the doormat!

Just lucky. He was probably sat at home scratching his arse with a pencil when your letter arrived on the doormat!

I had an acknowledgement, an update and a resolution from Earnshaw, and just an acknowledgement from Karran

Lifted from Hansard . I believe this makes the point about capability.. Peter Karran speak .......

I think it is important and I think it is important that we recognise that when we talk about energy costs within this Budgets proposal today and when people say it is nothing to do with us. Eaghtyrane, at the end of the day it is everything to do with us because we could have done so much for that energy cost if we would not have done something to stop the fiasco of the MEA. We have already had to give them £50 million, we have got £21 million this year, we have got another £70 million that we are going to have to pay out soon, and we have got – when I remember it so well, as the former chairman of the Water Authority, Caairliagh Lught-reill Ushtey – the situation of being told by the former chief executive, it is a roll-over bond for £185 million which we still – and, again, that is about us in this Hon. Chamber – allow them to get away with no proper political audit. That is something that is lacking within this proposal.

Lifted from Hansard . I believe this makes the point about capability.. Peter Karran speak .......

I think it is important and I think it is important that we recognise that when we talk about energy costs within this Budgets proposal today and when people say it is nothing to do with us. Eaghtyrane, at the end of the day it is everything to do with us because we could have done so much for that energy cost if we would not have done something to stop the fiasco of the MEA. We have already had to give them £50 million, we have got £21 million this year, we have got another £70 million that we are going to have to pay out soon, and we have got – when I remember it so well, as the former chairman of the Water Authority, Caairliagh Lught-reill Ushtey – the situation of being told by the former chief executive, it is a roll-over bond for £185 million which we still – and, again, that is about us in this Hon. Chamber – allow them to get away with no proper political audit. That is something that is lacking within this proposal.

Is he related to John Prescott? :unsure:

PK spoke very eloquently on MR in the uproar over the homophobic Minister of Ed we seem to have suddenly found in our midst, and then in the next few minutes he was on talking about another subject in a style which could only be described as nu yoik crapola ie: so totally incomprehensible in text and argument, he might as well have been speaking in Japanese! It was a master stroke by MR and I cannot believe for a moment they were not aware of what they'd done.

Every time I hear PK speak I am reminded of the Homer Simpson line "as long as there are no follow-up questions, I fully understand".

I like him for his nuisance value, but I have this terrible fear that whilst he blusters on and on about this week's bee in his bonnet, far far far more serious stuff is slipping by un-noticed by the electorate whilst our attention is diverted by PK.

PK spoke very eloquently on MR in the uproar over the homophobic Minister of Ed we seem to have suddenly found in our midst, and then in the next few minutes he was on talking about another subject in a style which could only be described as nu yoik crapola ie: so totally incomprehensible in text and argument, he might as well have been speaking in Japanese! It was a master stroke by MR and I cannot believe for a moment they were not aware of what they'd done.

Lets get my head around this one.

According to you Peter Karran spoke eloquently on Manx Radio ?

I dont accept that but not worth the argument.

According to you, again, he then became incomprehensible "in text and argument".

I accept that without reservation.

I am at a loss to follow your logic about Manx Radio's involvement.

Are you saying Manx Radio are in some way responsible for Peter Karran's lack of communication skills ?

In what context do you refer to " a master stroke by MR" ?

If, as you seem to be suggesting, Manx Radio have the power to render politicians incapable of making themselves understood, I think we should we told !

I am a great admirer or the late comedian George Burns and one his famous quotes and my personal favourite is: “Too bad that all the people who really know how to run the country are so busy cutting hair and driving taxi cabs”. Well, I see PK as the proverbial taxi driver or hairdresser who got up of his arse and done something about it.

Therefore, I ask myself who are we to criticise PK? Sure, it is easy to condemn the man for his public speaking abilities but if any of us were put on the spot would we necessarily fare better? Furthermore, a good public speaker does not constitute a person of honest intentions, quite the opposite in my experience.

And, if PK is so hard to understand, how come we all know what he is talking about? :huh:

Archived