Bt 'quadruples' Broadband Speeds

Beckett

Some customers will get up to 8Mbps as standard!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4773880.stm

Come on Manx Telecom - what happened to leading the way? That speed is certainly required to act as value for money for the current broadband prices here.

Erm, maybe Im missing something but where in the report does it say "as standard"(I haven't gone to the bt site to check it out, just the link supplied).

BT said more than 5,300 exchanges serving more than 99.6% of UK homes and businesses were being upgraded to support the higher speeds.

To support surely means it will be available, not it will be standard. Looks to me like it will be available but at a cost. Which makes sense because lets face it most people don't need speeds that high.

Come on Manx Telecom - what happened to leading the way? That speed is certainly required to act as value for money for the current broadband prices here.

Right, we have had broadband for over a year now and since the techno-bods at Manx Telecom decided to give us all a 2 Meg service (oerr!!!) the line has been a bag of spanners.

After months of getting cut off, slow downloads and an inability to play any online games with any degree of reliability, last week, I finaly lost my rag and started to make nucence calls to the tech support. To cut a long story short, I had the engineer out 4 times in a week and generaly made myself unpopular. This is what I found out.

1. Engineers are nice. They are people. There job specification is to do the minimum fix that gets you off their back. I ended up with FAR more than the minimum by being nice to them.

2. The 2 meg upgrade is something that happens to people that live within about 2 Km or less of the exchange.

3. The way that Manx Telecom (MT) upgraded their service precluded any upgrade of the infrastructure.

"Err, what?" I here you say.

Well, it appears that , under pressure from complaints about the speed of service in comparison to the UK, MT decided to boost their service to 2 meg.

The problem is that there is some signal degradation in the system by doing this, especially if you are in areas that are either some distance from the main exchanges, or if your area still has the older aluminium cable layed in the 70's and 80's. This is very noticable in the Onchan area.

The upshot of this is that if you had a reliable, but slower service in the outer areas of Douglas before the advent of the 2 meg service, MT has shafted you in order to give the image of a faster service publicly (and the reality to those business users close to exchanges).

This is what you get from a monopoly that invests jack sh!t in the infrastructure of their system, while paying their share holders and executives stupid sums.

Sorry if I sound a little bitter, but it would be so easy to have a telecom system over here that would be the envy of the world if certain people would do without big dividends, huge wage rises and bonuses for a couple of years.

Sorry if I sound a little bitter, but it would be so easy to have a telecom system over here that would be the envy of the world if certain people would do without big dividends, huge wage rises and bonuses for a couple of years.

Most of us would agree. However, the fact is that most of the world would be envious of our telecom system.

I would imagine renegotiation of the telcoms arrangements on the island might be something which could become a vote winner in an election year.

What a pity the Government stopped MEA implementing its business plans for telecoms.

Archived