A New Political Organisation Emerges

nipper

I am pleased some people have got together. Yes they should be given a chance and no one expects them to have all the answers at this stage.

The questions that I have asked will need to be answered though and if they can answer them with credit I for one will support them. Simply ignoring reasonable questions is not an option but at this stage it may be too soon to have the answers.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am pleased some people have got together. Yes they should be given a chance and no one expects them to have all the answers at this stage.

The questions that I have asked will need to be answered though and if they can answer them with credit I for one will support them. Simply ignoring reasonable questions is not an option but at this stage it may be too soon to have the answers.

Broad brush philosophy should be available from the outset. The detail can come later.

skrappey,

I am sorry you feel like that. The new group will only be worth consideration when they are willing to answer questions such as this?

I am playing devils advocate and this is a question which must be answered as in this Island - and I understand you have not been here long - we are very concerned about who pulls the strings.

It may be that all who put themselves forward under the banner of this new grouping will have their own policies, thought out by themselves which they passionately believe in. But I understand there will be some control if people want to continue having support. My question is a fair one. How will this be exercised and by whom? Who will do the thinking - the candidate who the public have perhaps voted in or some hidden group?

I think you should give them a chance to get up and running and let them sort themsleves out. They're only just starting out.

Declan,

I suspect it is left wing but of course until they have assembled their grouping who knows?

I don't know if they have a spokes person but they will need one pretty quickly if they haven't.

Yeah, fair enough, Wilddog, I don't expect a complete manifesto. But if they are going to band together, they must know this coalition has something in common. Otherwise what is the point. And it would be interesting know.

WilDDog,

I agree they need to have a chance to sort themselves out publically but I believe considerable planning has already taken place - perhaps not formally but informally.

I have thought that the Green Party or the Friends of the Earth did not organise them selves here odd.

FoE have a new leader called Phil Corlett perhaps he should get in the act.

The Green Party was here. Not sure how long it lasted though. John Rimington was a leading light and I remember him speaking at the Manx Museum on the subject of gay rights.

Hugh,

The FoE will be working out a "green environmental" manifesto soon with input from environmentalist organisations.

They have no plans to be a political party but they will be asking potential candidates where they stand on the issues.

Thanks Charles, I hope I get the chance to vote in this election. In the previous election our 2 HMKs were unopposed, so a Green candidate would be very useful.

The greens are very good at getting their photo in the Courier but I would like to have the chance to cast a vote in their favour if only to make MHKs take notice and I'm sure young people may have more of an interest in voting.

Hugh,

If you want to join FoE, Island Agenda 21 or the Society for the Preservation of the Manx Countryside give me a pm.

Archived