A New Political Organisation Emerges

nipper

Yes there is nothing which interests the public more than dog faeces and sticky chewing gum as well!

These issues are a top priority for many of the public.

As this is so I do not understand why anyone finds it hard to believe that I or anyone else hesitate in a decision to stand for the "Keys"?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

''So, has the time come for the like-minded to come together under, for want of another heading, a 'Reform' banner and, dare I say it, become organised as a ..... political party?''

I posed this question back in October and was informed by subsequent contributors to that thread that 'the Island is too small for political parties'. So what has happened in the meantime or was my crystal ball working on overdrive?

Perhaps I should have gone along to the Groups meeting last night but I probably learnt more about politics by staying in and watching Being There starring Peter Sellers. Listening to Mandate on Manx Radio today I heard acting chairman Roger Tomlinson discussing the group with Stu Peters. The chairman mentioned this morning's weather forecast and drew an obscure parallel with Isle of Man politics. It was very Chancery Gardener indeed.

I am mystified what the motivation is for this group. But in all fairness they should be given a chance, even if it is to hear a new person talking the same old political rhetoric (except the bit about the weather forecast this morning, not even Peter Karran would have used that one!)

So do this lot stand for anything? Other than a woolly call for everybody to "get involved".

Personally, I find the clip nipper posted almost offensive. (Maybe I'm doing a disservice to the new lot). It smacks of all those politicians, media types, and self appointed spokespeople both here and across who bleat on about "voter apathy" and the need to increase awareness and get more people involved in politics. It is downright insulting, this is meant to be a democracy, and that means I've got a God given right to be apathetic if I choose.

So do this lot stand for anything? Other than a woolly call for everybody to "get involved".

Personally, I find the clip nipper posted almost offensive. (Maybe I'm doing a disservice to the new lot). It smacks of all those politicians, media types, and self appointed spokespeople both here and across who bleat on about "voter apathy" and the need to increase awareness and get more people involved in politics. It is downright insulting, this is meant to be a democracy, and that means I've got a God given right to be apathetic if I choose.

Ive never been enthusiastic about parliamentary democracy. Its anything but a democratic system and, unsurprisingly, leads to apathy amongst those subject to parliamentary decree (us).

We never heareanything about empowering people to take charge of their own lives and alowing people to take collective responsibility for their communities from these power seekers.

We never hear about democracy at work anymore.

All we ever hear is a series of edicts emanating from a parliament which has claimed democracy as its own private property.

Rant over but what the hell happened to radical politics and fresh ideas.

Are we all apathetic ?

Show me a party which genuinely wants to involve people in running the Island and Ill vote for it.

If there's something worth voting for, then people will vote for it. When turnout falls, that's a reflection on the candidates not the voters.

True enough. Mrs Bucket turned up on my doorstep during the last election (and significantly from my persepective during a Liverpool vs Man Utd game) to "canvas". Well I say canvas, what I got was a leaflet and informed several times it was very, very important that I voted.

As it turned out it wasn't important that I voted - she still got elected anyway.

Mrs Bucket turned up on my doorstep during the last election (and significantly from my persepective during a Liverpool vs Man Utd game) to "canvas".

Dear me Declan, you may be human after all...... :)

I'm willing to give this lot a chance. But even after sitting through the meeting I wasn't entirely sure what they were for. At the moment it seems that they are looking for core questions to put to the people that will be standing in November and telling them that their answers will be published in the papers and we (the people) will hold them to account during their term of office. So they will need to get enough people elected who agree with their core views in order to get anything done. :(

Peter Karran was there as was John Shimmin, didn't see any other MHK's but there might have been more.

I was concerned that the average age must have been 70 and that for these people politics has become the new golf!

Unless they can get the constitution changed then nothing is going to happen and lets be honest once they get into Tynwald they change nothing - Turkeys and Christmas and all that! So back to square one.

We'll see..............

By the way, next meeting 27 March 7.30 at the Empress Hotel, an Any Questions session with Phil Gawne, Eddie Teare, Emma Christian (the singer) and two others yet to be announced.

The Island IS too small for party politics.

Setting up another party won't be effective, particularly one with such a large brush-stroke approach.

You'd only capture people's imagination with a definite aim, an overriding principle on a specific issue.

But then, of course you'd be accused of being a single-issue party.

The Manx political system is already clogged up.

The best way forward would be for the electorate to vote in more independent MHKs and increase lobbying of those politicians.

The aims of this new organisation are admiral but ultimately doomed.

There have been several attempts to initiate political parties on the island - some based on Lib-Dems, for example - but they all seem to have faded away from a simple lack of interest.

I can't imagine that this one is going to be any different (although I'm speaking from ignorance because I wasn't at the meeting), because it really doesn't seem to have the kind of drive and energy that such a project would require.

Also, of course, a genuine political party isn't led by the people it represents - it leads. It declares it's principles and aims and invites the voters to discuss, accept or reject them - then deals with the ones that are clearly unacceptable.

Speckled Frost Posted Today, 10:47 AM

The best way forward would be for the electorate to vote in more independent MHKs and increase lobbying of those politicians.

This is why one of my questions to candidates is "If you were to become a minister, would you accept that the principle of collective responsibility is more important than individual conscience?" Because if the answer to that is 'Yes,' then they are not truly 'independent' candidates.

Why are these people doing this?

Too much time on their hands?

Too much money? (in one case certainly)

There is more to this than meets the eye.

These people have so far successfully managed to manipulate some of the more innocent and generally respected politicians. Those politicians should carefully consider what they are doing and exactly who it is they are getting involved in.

They may well be walking right in to the lion's den...

Archived