A New Political Organisation Emerges

nipper

Pardon my ignorance, but how would party politics work on the Island? Do the have to have a member standing in every area? If so that's a fair few members, and I'd bet they'd all want to aim for the popular places like Douglas.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dickie - A party wouldn't have to put a candidate in every constituency. It could field as many as it liked, however, if it wanted to form a Government or be the leading force in the Government, it would need to get as many elected as possible. That could mean in 2 or 3 member constituencies fielding more than one candidate.

Why are these people doing this?

Too much time on their hands?

Too much money? (in one case certainly)

There is more to this than meets the eye.

These people have so far successfully managed to manipulate some of the more innocent and generally respected politicians. Those politicians should carefully consider what they are doing and exactly who it is they are getting involved in.

They may well be walking right in to the lion's den...

I can only answer for myself;

Can you honestly say, hand on heart, that you are entirely happy with the present government?

Too much time?, I work 8-5:30, I have as much time as I feel I need.

Too much money?, I wish, if I had I would be doing something else, probably.

There are a few too many elderly retired people involved, maybe, or rather too few young people.

I was concerned at the meeting to hear someone compare n MHK's remuneration to "the starting salary of a chartered accountant".( if that was meant as a put down, sign me up for a CA course) That did genuinely worry me, but as the only male in the room in overalls, having come directly from work, I wasn't too suprised.

I do not speak for the group, I am involved in a minor way but I feel a fair shot should be allowed.

Don't judge them just yet too harshly.

At least this debate has started so more people are already involved in local politics through their starting up.

Small acorns and all that?

Frankly, the thought of party politics on the Isle of Man depresses me enormously.

To envision the House of Keys with a government and an opposition, imagine numerous MHKs on one side of the house taking up most of Question Time with "questions" that start with things like "Would my honourable friend the Chief Minister not agree that the creation of four new job vacancies in my sheading is testament to the success of this government's economic policy..."

Then imagine half a dozen Peter Karrans jumping up and down like jack-in-the-boxes asking awkward questions about everything - but not because they want the answers, and simply to embarrass the Council of Ministers and score some points.

The thought of a genuine opposition interests me and the thought of actually being able to have a say in who the Government of the Island is excites.

At the moment we have neither. At the moment we've got a lottery followed by a closed shop.

Archived