Mountain Road Closed, How Long?

A_Zimbo

Anybody know how long the mountain road is to be closed for? It's a couple of days since snow fell and it's still closed today (Sunday afternoon) or is the plan to just leave it closed since it was due to close anyway for the roadworks? I have no doubt I'll get a load of "Guess who's new to the island" messages and yes that is true but I thought here was as good a place as any to ask. When there was a rather serious accident up there a few months back the road was closed for two days, which I have to admit I found astounding. How can you neeed to close a road for two days or more for police to take a few measurements.

Well, we were up there walking today - went from the Creg as far as the Bungalow (and then up to the top of Snaefell too). There was absolutely NO reason why the road should be closed. There were a few patches of snow/slush on the road when we were walking along towards the Bungalow - which had gone by the time we got back down, as the snowplough was out and about. One or two cars were on the road even tho' it was supposed to be closed. The road was completely clear and even dry in a lot of places! If you ask me, the DOT boys/Police couldn't be arsed to move the bollards to open the roads, and then move them back again to close them. :D

Well, we were up there walking today - went from the Creg as far as the Bungalow (and then up to the top of Snaefell too). There was absolutely NO reason why the road should be closed. There were a few patches

That's exactly what I suspected when I asked the question. Wife and I wanted to go up there for a walk today but thought better of it with the plethora of death by yellow signs that were kicking around. Have to admit I doubted severely that it was really that bad up there and assumed exactly that which you point out in your message.....more likely none of the members of officialdom could be bothered to open it/move the signs out the way. Thanks for the general info anyway.

I just hope that they throw this bloody stupid idea of straightening windy corner out at the expense of £200,000.00 in tomorrow's sitting of house of keys.

Saying that the idiots who are in there probably won't because they all sing the same tune apart from one or two who actually care about the Isle of Man.

They want to try and spend some cash on the other roads around the Isle of Man that are nearly turning in to rubble. Besides there are other parts on the mountain circuit that are blind corners that could be made safer with this cash.

This is to the idiots who run this Island "Isn't it time you actually listened to the people who put you where you are!"

Archived