The Isle's - Manifique!

Mr Woo

The Island is the Star of the Irish Sea - so says Jeremy Clarkson in the Sun on Saturday 4th march (Sun World supplement) He agrees with his mate AA Gill that there's only one good restaurant, Ciapellis, but adds that it's £42 million a head! Douglas is an eyesore but Castletown is a pretty port, The Waterfall is a good pub and there's a steam railway. It's here:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2001330...100463,,00.html

Sorry if it's already done, no time to check!

Sounds about right for Ciapellis cost wise, we were taken there by a service provider for Christmas and it cost a cool £794 for five people!

The meal and service were ok, definitely not the best meal I had ever had, mega prices for wine and definitely not worth the money - glad I wasn't paying the bill.

The following week my wife and I went out with 6 friends to the Laughing Buddha, it cost only £204 for the eight of us including copious supplies of alcohol and coffee and a free drink on the house, I enjoyed it more than Ciapellis even though I had to pay my share.

Could the moderators start a thread where we could vote for our favourite restaurants and let everyone know which ones are value for money and which are rip offs?

My top five are;

Laughing Buddha

Highlander

Hawthorn

Garrison

Swiss Chalet

Could the moderators start a thread where we could vote for our favourite restaurants and let everyone know which ones are value for money and which are rip offs?

my favourite restraunts are coasters, and chillis, great food and excellent service :)

I must admit I didn't enjoy having food thrown at me by surly South African staff for a minimum of £50 a head last time I went to Coast. I can only applaud the real effort taken to be that obnoxious, it was like eating a Fawlty Towers.

I like the Taj myself and have been going there for years. Like anywhere it has its slight ups and downs depending on the current chef situation. I was there on Friday and had the one of the nicest curries I've ever tasted and that includes the ones in Kerala and Goa!

Just to refine my idea of a restaurant . I would not call curries houses and pubs, restaurants. Thats the problem on the Island, we think these types of places are restaurants and they are not. We pay over inflated prices for curries, just take a trip to the Curry mile in Manchester and you would get twice the food twice the service and half the price.As for pub/restaurants I could not think of anything more fowl ( mostly frozen food, overpriced and the usual table number order system, utter crap. To be honest I would pay a fair price for proper waiter service, fresh food choice,good wine and the talents of a proper chef than waste my money on the above rubbish

The Island is the Star of the Irish Sea - so says Jeremy Clarkson in the Sun on Saturday 4th march (Sun World supplement) He agrees with his mate AA Gill that there's only one good restaurant, Ciapellis, but adds that it's £42 million a head! Douglas is an eyesore but Castletown is a pretty port, The Waterfall is a good pub

He has only been here 5 minutes and I'd say it was a safe bet to say he has only eaten in a small percentage of the islands restaurants so how he has come to the conclusion that Ciapellis is the only good restaurant I have no idea, perhaps he was told by all the famous people he keeps bumping into.

The Waterfall might be a good pub (has anyone eaten there recently btw?) but its in the middle of no were so it cost a fortune to get to and from in a taxi so unless you live in Glen Maye its not some were your going to go regularly for a drink, especialy if you lived miles away in or around another town say Castletown with its own choice of good pubs. (unless you have up set some of the locals some how!)

Dont get me wrong I like the guy, and I like the fact he is one of the few people who has good things to say about the Island in the U.K. press but I just dont see how he has come to his conclusions.

.. it was like eating a Fawlty Towers.

Note to self - must go there :)

We pay over inflated prices for curries, just take a trip to the Curry mile in Manchester and you would get twice the food twice the service and half the price.

Very much agree - on my first visit to the mile, I only ordered a couple of small portions to sample what's on offer, and still ended up with a mountain of food in front of me - all for a fraction of the price I would have paid over here - absolute ace that place!

Dont get me wrong I like the guy, and I like the fact he is one of the few people who has good things to say about the Island in the U.K. press but I just dont see how he has come to his conclusions.

It's a rhetorical Sun column which probably took about 2 minutes to write.

If it was anything less than emphatic - then it wouldn't be the voice that they pay him for.

My guess is that the typical Sun reader favours medium - over cooked sirloin steak with chips. The size of the portions is probably an issue for him too. I doubt he cares that much about interesting restaurants.

I must admit I didn't enjoy having food thrown at me by surly South African staff for a minimum of £50 a head last time I went to Coast. I can only applaud the real effort taken to be that obnoxious, it was like eating a Fawlty Towers.

Living in Ramsey I'd give my eye teeth to have the pleasure of a surly member of staff to serve us. It's a desert for eateries up here. :D

I agree with what somebody else suggested in here, would be great to have a place to malign/praise restaurants on the island.

Archived