Sponsoring The 'fuzz'

Lonan3

From today's Times:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2071788,00.html

Pubs, supermarkets and private businesses are being asked to sponsor Britain’s army of auxiliary police as part of the Government’s drive to put a policing team in every neighbourhood.

High street businesses that provide funds for police community support officers would receive publicity and could have their logo on uniforms in return. In the United States, a similar system has led to some police vehicles being embellished with the names and logos of sponsors.

Home Office ministers are urging police authorities in England and Wales to seek additional funding and sponsors to pay for community support officers. But the “business to sponsor an auxiliary cop” plan has already raised concerns that it could compromise the independence of the police.

Personally, I like this idea - and I'm sure there'll be suggestions about suitable companies/products to be emblazoned on uniforms and squad cars?

I wonder if they'll allow neighbourhoods to join together to sponsor a beat officer? I'd be half in favour of chipping in if they agreed to increase their patrols. We've a big problem with the yoof of today ringing door bells and using the parked cars as goal posts ... having a copper turn up on a Friday night would make getting our young one to sleep undisturbed a lot easier! When he gets woken up week in week out its just not on!

I'm somehow not really comfortable with the thought that greedy corporations such as Tesco can portray themselves as "caring for the community" in this way - proper policing should be funded with public money, not high-street funds...

And what yob would take a copper with "sponsored by Asda" on his jacket seriously?...

Archived