Driving Experiment

keith lard

Any read the piece in the examiner where the 2 cars went from the point of ayre to cregneash via ramsey,douglas,st johns & castletown?

for once the reporters have actually got of their backsides and done a type of test

2 cars leave at same time, 1 has to stick to speed limits and can't go above 60mph, the other stick to the limits but can go over 60 in unrestricted areas

the difference in the end was 12 seconds!

i'd say you'd have to do it a few times to get a true reflection. but it's pretty thought provoking stuff

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Erm...what exactly did they expect from an Island that's 33 miles long? One arriving an hour before the other?

Could have told'em that before...hardly any real open roads, plenty of other cars on narrow streets, traffic lights, etc...

Try the same thing with two 911 Turbos and you might get a slightly different result, although I still can't see a point in it...

And I've never driven fast to get somewhere quicker - I sometimes drive a bit faster because it's my choice, and I enjoy doing so, regardless of how many seconds or minutes that may shave of my journey time...

No offence, but thought provoking it certainly ain't....

Then what is all this fuss from the speed limit lobby.

If you know a speed limit isn't actually going slow you down, what's the point.

Fixed your post for you.

Somehow I suspect if they'd tried it on a pair of motorbikes the results would have been different...

They should have had a third car that disregarded all speed limits and if it got there significantly quicker we could call for all limits to be abolished :)

Just out of interest are the reporters in question for or against a national speed limit?

Just out of interest are the reporters in question for or against a national speed limit?

It appears that that the papers (from Editor level down as far as Speller) are 'Pro' speed limit.

It appears that that the papers (from Editor level down as far as Speller) are 'Pro' speed limit.

Yes, they are. Then openly told me that was their editorial policy when interviewing me last week.

Think it said it took them about 1hr 15mins to get from Ayre to the Sound. I'm not the slowest driver, but that road must have been pretty empty for them to do it in that time - it's not been unusual for me to be travelling for nearly an hour getting from Douglas to Ramsey via Ballacraine.

12 seconds - over that distance?

Did they do it during TT week when the course was shut and it was 5:00pm??

Whilst unable to disprove their "12 seconds" difference, I wondered too about the conclusion.

Anybody that has followed a friend in a car will testify that it only requires a couple of roundabouts and sets of trafic lights to be seperated even over a short distance. One set of traffic lights can put a 30 second gap between you.

I wonder if the "slow" car set was in front at the start and built up a lead through traffic that the "fast" car had to claw back in the limited places available. That would give the desired published result.

The only thing the chap Speller seems to be writing his opinion about these days is that Section 38 homosexual thing. I don't think that many people are that interested.

Yes, they are. Then openly told me that was their editorial policy when interviewing me last week.

That will lead to good unbiased reporting of the issue from them then.

Archived