Driving Experiment

keith lard

Perhaps a couple of forum-members could give it a go? Take it one step further and record different genders, ages and invite someone from ManxPower to try in their Fiesta 1.1 Popular XR2i GTI RS Turbo VTR with Bucket Seats and Night Rider lights.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Then what is all this fuss from the anti-speed limit lobby.

If you know it isn't going to get you anywhere fast, what's the point.

Spot on - much better to enjoy the scenery. If you find yourself behind a 1989 yellow Metro in a few weeks you'll know who's in fornt of you :P .

If it's me behind you, I'll grass you to the cops for enjoying the scenery when you should be concentrating on driving the bloody car and avoiding all the other daydreamers!

Would have been much more fun if one of my esteemed colleagues from the paper had asked me to do the run in the Jag...

But that's NEVER going to happen. Last time I tried running was in 1965 at school - joined the air cadets instead so I could be excused games...

Would have been much more fun if one of my esteemed colleagues from the paper had asked me to do the run in the Jag...

How about it then, your car against mine for an official record?

Stav.

;)

Stav.

;)

That wouldn't really be a fair race, would it? :rolleyes:

post-1086-1141746265_thumb.jpg

Stav.

;)

Hi Stav - I'm tempted, but mindful of the law regarding road racing per se. And it would have to be one of the boys from Peel Road in his shopping car really.

Mama Stav would probably put sugar in my petrol tank anyway...

Any read the piece in the examiner where the 2 cars went from the point of ayre to cregneash via ramsey,douglas,st johns & castletown?

for once the reporters have actually got of their backsides and done a type of test

2 cars leave at same time, 1 has to stick to speed limits and can't go above 60mph, the other stick to the limits but can go over 60 in unrestricted areas

the difference in the end was 12 seconds!

i'd say you'd have to do it a few times to get a true reflection. but it's pretty thought provoking stuff

It read to me like a TopGear challenge for pensioners or the terminally mild at heart. I was surprised that they were not also made to wear trilby hats to see if they affected the aerodynamics, or had to keep a hand on their pipes at all times to stop quick gear changes.

It just goes to show that you can fool all of the people most of the time.

I was surprised that they were not also made to wear trilby hats to see if they affected the aerodynamics

Thats quite a good point about aerodynamics, What type of cars where used?, How big was the engine? How big are the cars and how much do they weigh, How old are the cars, how much mileage have they done and more to the point why wasn't this filmed!

Also just to be really picky what tires where used, what type of fuel, Unleaded or Super unleaded.

All of these questions would effect how quick the car is and how long it would take.

Why don't we repeat the experiment with two identical cars then? Anyone know a dealership or car rental that could supply two vehicles with half-way decent engines for half a day? No point allowing a 1.2 to go faster than 50 or 60 if it takes 15 minutes to reach that speed...

Set it all up for..say..Sunday, document it, and have a look at the result - even if it doesn't prove anything, it might make for a nice day out :)

PM me if you're interested, and we'll see where it goes...

Why don't we repeat the experiment with two identical cars then? Anyone know a dealership or car rental that could supply two vehicles with half-way decent engines for half a day? No point allowing a 1.2 to go faster than 50 or 60 if it takes 15 minutes to reach that speed...

Set it all up for..say..Sunday, document it, and have a look at the result - even if it doesn't prove anything, it might make for a nice day out :)

PM me if you're interested, and we'll see where it goes...

Its a good idea although no two cars are the same, Cars are run-in differently, some use different oil, different brake pads, different tires.

Why can't just one car be used and the times recorded, Afterall different drivers drive.......... well different, What might be one persons idea of a good speed might not be anothers, Its better if it was the same car, same driver and then you know its fair.

Archived