Driving Experiment

keith lard

Maybe there could even be a manx 'Canonball run' with celebrities in fast cars seeing who could get from point to point in the quickest time?

No doubt many zany & wacky 'capers' involving giant magnets, disguises, and birds with impressive cleavage would ensue.... :D

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Its a good idea although no two cars are the same, Cars are run-in differently, some use different oil, different brake pads, different tires.

Why can't just one car be used and the times recorded, Afterall different drivers drive.......... well different, What might be one persons idea of a good speed might not be anothers, Its better if it was the same car, same driver and then you know its fair.

I know what you mean, but there are so many different variables already, i.e. other road users, traffic lights, etc - and it's not a scientific experiment on a closed course, so different oils, etc, wouldn't really mater that much imo.

Two identical cars, clear instructions to the drivers, and both starting shortly after one another, so they encounter the same traffic en route - I think that's as fair as you're gonna get it without help from the Ferrari F1 team...

Would have been much more fun if one of my esteemed colleagues from the paper had asked me to do the run in the Jag...

How about it then, your car against mine for an official record?

Stav.

;)

I think you should take stavros up on his offer......and anyway,MOI putting sugar in the tank ? like I can afford sugar!!!!!!!

See if you two can negotiate a proper safe run through the correct channels so no one gets killed eh?

I think we SHOULD use different cars, to make the point that we don't all choose to drive van-like people carriers, desert cruisers that never get dirty or eco-friendly diesel sprogwagens.

Some of us simply enjoy the art of driving for the sake of it, not just to get from A-B, or to commune with nature while a tailback builds behind us.

As long as we're all clear that it's NOT a race, and that the experiment will observe all relevant laws, count me in.

As long as we're all clear that it's NOT a race, and that the experiment will observe all relevant laws, count me in.

Clear with me - anything else wouldn't be acceptable for an experiment like this anyway, and would also destroy any point which might be made..

Working on the cars and date now - anyone for Sunday?

Ive heard that the car that could only do 60mph left in front of the car that could do more .... and the one behind was forced to do 60 and the target speed limit all the way.

The car in front kept swerving over the white lines when the car behind tried to over take.

The car behind also had to keep his distance, coz all the stop lights, rear markers and indicators were removed form the car in front.

The car in front kept slowing and stopping to talk to his mates on tractors.

The car in front kept slowing down when ever anything came in the other direction - unless (see below)

The car in front just ploughed through narrow passing areas. It did not even thinking of stopping or slowing for the car coming the other way. The car behind had to wait until all the wing mirrors, head light glass and bumper ends had been picked up and the Police were called.

Now there's real manx motoring!

I'm still quite happy to put my old banger up against Stu or anyone else's motor for that matter and I'm not talking about road racing. Just the same test and conditions to get a second opinion on the times.

What Jag have you got Stu, type, engine etc?

Stav.

It's an old XJ-R 4 litre supercharged six...so not the REALLY fast one. Sunday at noon would be good. High noon...

Suggest anyone participating carries an impartial passenger to ensure no cheating. Any single birds out there with an impressive cleavage - before Cret gets them all? Not necessarily just for Sunday...

I've not read the article but they say the start point was the Point of Ayre yes?

Well, unless the road has changed, the second car should be able to get past the first car on the road out of the Point and then it's pretty much game over.

12 seconds over that distance is just a joke. 12 minutes might be more accurate I think and that's without a complete knobber being in the car that can go over 60.

What route did they take? Did they go the 'wrong way' around the TT course and turn off at St. Johns and through Foxdale or did they go over the mountain?

Archived