Driving Experiment

keith lard

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Errrm, My Skoda is missing from outside my house. I am wondering if My Stavros is thinking of using it in this experiment ....I will be very angry if he does and I will hold Mr Peters responsible. I have had this vehicle since new in 1979 and it is in pristine condition. I have used it as a faithfull friend to carry all the ingredients backwards and forwards for the kebab stall , I think people should just see how far into the world of economic progress we areally are . OK?

http://www.globe-guardian.com/archives/twisted/tl0004.htm

Anyway . I just want to register my concerns that My Stavros is being misled by that Peters bloke....I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him.........he is likely going to mess up my Skoda .

I won't be happy.............

Just remembered - it would have to be this Sunday:

Mountain Road is closed from Monday for the next 7 weeks

Windy corner and all that....I think they meant to start this Monday, but delayed it until next week...

I KNOW I said I'd do it, but after much calm reflection I've decided to chicken out (for now). Here's why:

1. 3pm on Sunday means there'll be nothing like a clear run over the mountain, which is the deciding factor in all this. And I'm competitive, so would want to fly - which is a little anti-social given that there'll be nature lover tootling along drinking in the views.

2. I'd forgotten about the F1 GP.

3. I'd also forgotten I have an appointment already on Sunday afternoon.

4. I work late on Saturdays so the morning is definitely not an option.

5. Mama Stav scares me.

However, why don't we ALL do the run at various times (so there's absolutely no 'race' element) - go one way as fast as you legally and safely can, and then the reverse trip observing a 60mph maximum in deristricted zones. That way, everyone can have a go (even girls and motorbikes) and we can have a list giving time of day, road conditions and times etc. Not to be top of the 'fast' list, more to establish the difference in times.

However, why don't we ALL do the run at various times (so there's absolutely no 'race' element) - go one way as fast as you legally and safely can, and then the reverse trip observing a 60mph maximum in deristricted zones. That way, everyone can have a go (even girls and motorbikes) and we can have a list giving time of day, road conditions and times etc. Not to be top of the 'fast' list, more to establish the difference in times.

This is what i was trying to say before i just didn't word it right, Also by you both doing the fast and slow run you will see who gets the better time.

I guess it's an idea...although I think you should combine the rock show with the experiment and broadcast live from the fast lane tonight - that would get the listener figures up big time :)

Will head up to point of ayre tomorrow at 3 anyway - If nobody's there, then I'll go fishing and do the drive later... If anyone wants to show up, feel free and we'll see what we'll do...

Oh, and if anyone wants to do the drive for themselves, then remember that this weekend is pretty much your last chance before the TT - roadworks, remember?..

And just as a reminder, here are once again the rules:

Both cars must obey all speed limits, signs and rules of the roads. Both drivers must show courtesy and consideration for other road users.

Car 1 has to adhere to all speed limits and is only allowed a maximum speed of 60mph on unrestricted roads.

Car 2 also has to obey all speed limits, but is allowed to go faster than 60mph on unrestricted roads. The driver must ensure that this is done in a responsible manner, and without driving excessively quickly or in a reckless way.

Overtaking is allowed as covered by the Highway code - no risks may be taken when doing so.

Although this experiment has a competitive element, it is NOT a race. Anyone taking part must drive exactly as he or she would do under normal driving circumstances - with exception of the 60mph rule.

Both cars will start at the same time from the point of Ayre, must follow the same route and the timing will be stopped when the vehicles enter the Sound car park, where a final comparison will be made.

If you can take pictures or video footage, then that would onviously a bonus, but please make sure it is safe and legal to do so.

Let's just hope no one has to endure anything like this -

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2080205,00.html

And to prove he's a genuine petrolhead: Then he was upside down against the roof. “The car started to fill with smoke. I said to the firemen, ‘Don’t cut my car’. It seems stupid but she’s my baby."

Probably the worst day of the year to do this. Potentially dodgy weather if you go up early and rain forecast for later on plus you'll have the high winds to contend with.

I bet it'll be like the wacky races up there too with every knobber imaginable trying to get a 'lap' in before it shuts for the next 8 weeks (or more!).

I'd suggest doing the alternative route by heading into Ramsey and then going against the flow of the course and picking the route up at St. Johns.

Okay, it wont be an accurate comparison to the route IOM Newspapers took but you'll still get the comparison between the restricted and unrestricted vehicles.

Looks like it will be shut anyway.... snow wonderful snow.

yep - I guess they'll just leave it shut now and start some wonderful roadworks on monday.

Maybe another time....

I really do wish that I had read this thread before going off like an idiot to the Point of Ayre. I thought that I'd got the wrong place because I couldn't find anyone. People must have thought that I was mad asking them if they were Amadeus or here for the trial. One strange bloke that I think was walking his dog but I couldn't see any, said no but that he could play the piano. He said that he hadn't played it for a few months. I didn't really know how to respond to that so I just walked away and went back to the car!

You were right though it was a crap day for a drive and it was cold and horrible in the far North.

Stav.

Archived