The Plan

manxchatterbox

The whole thing needs looked at.

Look at france they are turning wine into anti freeze just so they protect the wine makers.

This is madness, like every sector if there is too much supply and not enough demand people usually go out of business.

Just giving Farmers money so they can survive is stupid, if we produce too much of one thing then we need to cut back.

I think farmers over here are a good bunch, the problem over here is the are scared of change.

I'm not sure what to make of this debate. Are we talking about the UK being food self sufficient or the Isle of Man? If its the Isle of Man to quote John McEnroy "You cannot be serious!"

Im surprised you havent understood the argument.

No one has stated the Isle of Man is self sufficient in terms of agriculture.

For the benefit of our other confused poster, no one has stated the Island's population came close to starvation during the seamen's strike either !

It isnt unreasonable to offer a little of the history surrounding farm subsidies and it is absolutely the case that farm subsidies in the British Isles were greatly increased as a result of lessons learned during WW2.

For the avoidance of doubt, the British Isles were effectively blockaded by a small force of U boats and came perilously close to being unable to feed people at an adequate level. You can thank the efforts of the Royal Navy that didnt happen. (It was called the Battle of the Atlantic) Subsidies were intended to ensure the British Isles had a measure of self sufficiency.

The Isle of Man Government, post war years, made a number of initiatives to maintain the Island's farming industry on a level footing with its counterparts in the UK. Farm subsidies were a part of those initiatives as events in the UK had left our farming industry seriously disadvantaged and there were genuine concerns about the Island's food supplies.

That is history. It is not an argument for continuing subsidies into the future or even into the short term. Neither have I or anyone else in this thread claimed otherwise.

I have argued it may be time for a review of the system and this would best be undertaken by an independent review body. I have also argued we would do well to be proceed with caution.

So, he of the extremely long and rambling posts, perthaps you might explain how I cannot be serious ..oh ..and pay attention !

During the war the Island was fortunate in some of its production, we did not suffer the rations on many farm prodcuts as they did on the Mainland. although we might produce seemingly too much of some products (the same ones we didn't suffer a shortage of during the war, what a coincidense!) this is only because we as a country buy too much of other countries produce rather than our own. In a day and age where we are allegedly trying to cut down on emisions and pollution it is crazy that we all buy english french italian cheese when we prdouce our own! the same for all meat and veg, there is no excuse for not buying local produce!

In a day and age where we are allegedly trying to cut down on emisions and pollution it is crazy that we all buy english french italian cheese when we prdouce our own! the same for all meat and veg, there is no excuse for not buying local produce!

This is exactly the sort of issue an independent review body could consider. its a good point.

As previously stated its been a heck of a long time since WW2 and its immediate aftermath.

There is an excuse for not buying local produce, it is a business, not a public service, it is gifted long millions of public money that could be better spent on public service ie health, and after the long millions of public money pumped in, the produce is really expensive, £6.20 a pound for lamb chops, Add to that price, the grant money and what would be the true price? You pay for meat even if you are a vegan.

With regard to Ag policy, we merely copied the CAP system from the EEC. A system with noble intentions but like the CAP it just produced expensive surpluses as producers concentrated on maximising grants.

So, like the CAP, it is time for it to go and market forces to control production, just like real businesses.

..it is crazy that we all buy english french italian cheese when we prdouce our own...

French / Italian is miles better and has more variety. If the Manx cheese is so good why is it always being mixed up with other ingedients and not being sold simply as cheese? Granted regular / mature cheddar is a good cheese.

And while I'm having a rant, are Shoprite incapable of marking produce in metric units? In Ramsey the cheese is marked up in price per pound or price per quarter.

And why is the cheese already sweating away in shrink-wrap plastic?

In my village of 1,000 souls we have about 100 different cheeses available, all cut while you wait.

And while I'm having a rant, are Shoprite incapable of marking produce in metric units? In Ramsey the cheese is marked up in price per pound or price per quarter.

Let's hope so! These stupid European measurements have contributed enough to the destruction of mental arithmetic! Pounds and ounces, pal - stuff your kilos! :angry:

Let's hope so! These stupid European measurements have contributed enough to the destruction of mental arithmetic! Pounds and ounces, pal - stuff your kilos! :angry:

I had an idea that they were obliged to mark produce in Kilos, or is that not the case?

The real units of measure are:

14 pounds = 1 stone

2 stones = 1 quarter = 28 pounds

4 quarters = 1 hundredweight = 112 pounds

20 hundredweight = 1 ton = 2240 pounds

4 gills = 1 pint

2 pints = 1 quart

4 quart = 1 gallon

2 gallons = 1 peck

8 gallons (4 pecks) = 1 bushel

UNITS OF LENGTH

120 fathoms (exactly).

1 cable's length----------------------- 720 feet (exactly).

1 chain (ch)--------------------------- 66 feet (exactly).

(Gunter's or surveyors)

20.1168 meters

1 fathom------------------------------- 6 feet (exactly).

10 chains (surveyors) (exactly).

1 furlong (fur)------------------------ 660 feet (exactly).

[1 hand]------------------------------- 4 inches.

1 rod (rd), pole, or perch------------- 16 1/2 feet (exactly).

UNITS OF AREA

1 acre---------------------------- 43 560 square feet (exactly).

[1 square (building)]--------------- 100 square feet.

UNITS OF CAPACITY OR VOLUME

1 barrel (bbl), liquid----------------- 31 to 42 gallons.14

1 barrel (bbl), standard for fruits, 7056 cubic inches.

vegetables, and other dry------------ 105 dry quarts.

commodities, except cranberries 3.281 bushels, struck measure.

1 cord (cd) (firewood)----------------- 128 cubic feet (exactly).

8 fluid ounces (exactly).

1 cup, measuring----------------------- 1/2 liquid pint (exactly).

1 hundredweight, gross

(gross cwt)-------------------------- 112 pounds (exactly)

1 ton, gross----------------- 2240 pounds (exactly)

Thgose were my nightmares as a child, i could never remember them :(

Looking at the cup one, 8 fl oz , 1 cup, 1/2 pint measured. I always thought there were 20fl oz in a pint, or is that Yankee or am i a knob?

I had an idea that they were obliged to mark produce in Kilos, or is that not the case?

The Isle of Man is not in the UK or the EEC, although we do have an agreement with Europe over trade, but I dont think that the stupid EEC rule regarding having to sell everything in metric measurements can be enforced in our Country. We can use either metric or imperial. Thank god our Government have'nt given in to the rule of Brussels.

The Isle of Man is not in the UK or the EEC, although we do have an agreement with Europe over trade, but I dont think that the stupid EEC rule regarding having to sell everything in metric measurements can be enforced in our Country. We can use either metric or imperial. Thank god our Government have'nt given in to the rule of Brussels.

'Our government' seem quite capable of cocking things up without any help.

Archived