If There Is A Dong Involved It Must Be A Blow Job

manxchatterbox

The Uk's largets offshore wind farm has started generating electricty to power 65,000 homes...Where is it ? well if its a clear day take a look toward Barrow and there it is 30 turbines...

http://www.bowind.co.uk/press060306.htm

better 30 turbines in Ramsey Bay using renewable and inexhaustible energy and an undersea cable rather than a gas fired power station??

The Uk's largets offshore wind farm has started generating electricty to power 65,000 homes...Where is it ? well if its a clear day take a look toward Barrow and there it is 30 turbines...

http://www.bowind.co.uk/press060306.htm

better 30 turbines in Ramsey Bay using renewable and inexhaustible energy and an undersea cable rather than a gas fired power station??

A very topical question.

Im glad you used the word energy as opposed to power because, for electricity supply there is a difference and its an important one.

Power stations have to meet instantaneous demand. It is entirely logical that the prime mover has to be able to provide that response. Otherwise all oue nice electronics wouldnt work.

Renewable energy, at least that generated by wind power cant provide that sort of response. Nevertheless, once the energy used in manufacture has been repaid, it is a clean method of generating electricity and we should treat it seriously.

Wind power is expensive. Much more expensive than that generated by fossil fuel burning power stations.

Furthermore, renewable generators are not incentivised to locate in the Isle of Man as there is no mechanism to capture Renewable Obligation Certificates (ROCs) which are worth nearly as much to the operators as the power generated is. There is a rapidly growing market in carbon emissions etc in the UK and Europe and ROcs are trading quite strongly.

So, in answer to your question, no it wouldnt be a good idea to have 30 wind turbines located in Ramsey Bay. it would be distinctly uneconomic both for consumers and generators.

Yes it would be a good idea to use a much higher proportion of renewable energy on the Island.

How do we do it ? We utilise our existing resources and take advantage of the opportunities available in the UK power market to buy renewable energy. In other words, we buy power, generated by renewables, on the power markets or via an OTC arrangement, and import it over the interconnector. This would side step the response and frequency problems associated with wind power because we would be buying off the UK system.

Would this be in the Island's interest ? I guess it would cause us significant problems vis a vis the contract we have for capacity on the gas interconnector and about which many words have been expended in Tynwald.

So I guess you pay your money and take your choice. If we are serious about renewables there is an option to buy it in over the cable. We could source more than 50% of the Island's electrical energy requirements this way.

This might lead to difficulties with existing expensive capacity contracts for gas transportation and we would have to find some way of coping with that.

Why can't they be put on top of the mountain and Ramsey isn't a bad idea eithier although maybe Jurby would probably be better.

I give up !!

*chuckle* .. Poor Lonewolf

Yes it would be a good idea to use a much higher proportion of renewable energy on the Island.

How do we do it ? We utilise our existing resources and take advantage of the opportunities available in the UK power market to buy renewable energy. In other words, we buy power, generated by renewables, on the power markets or via an OTC arrangement, and import it over the interconnector. This would side step the response and frequency problems associated with wind power because we would be buying off the UK system.

So if you're saying buy off the UK system, what if we installed turbines over here and contributed to the whole system?

if they put 30 wind turbines offshore in Ramsey Bay then they will hide the long-wave radio transmitter from its objectors - so problem solved.

I'm sure the objectors would dissipate with it.....

Get a wind turbine for your house, and 4 solar panels, Recoup the investment within several years ;)

So if you're saying buy off the UK system, what if we installed turbines over here and contributed to the whole system?

Because, if I read the post you are quoting correctly, it is expensive to set up and normally only economic if we could claim credits for reducing carbon emission, which we can't. And we need energy, which we know is going to be there when we switch on, which this isn't.

Does anyone know if Lonewolf is correct?

I think I prefer the idea of individual development of renewable energy sources. You take the generation away from the large power stations and disperse it across the country. I noticed an article on the BBC site that they're talking of making it easier and cheaper for individuals to setup their own turbines, solar panels, etc. It would be good if they could do something like that over here, make it easier to get planning permission and bring the prices of installation down. Not only would we be getting cheaper (free?) energy but it would also reduce global emissions and cut down on polluting the environment.

Wind power is expensive. Much more expensive than that generated by fossil fuel burning power stations.

How does that work out? I was under the impression (Possibly incorrectly) that wind turbines paid for themselves within 6-12 months and also generated the amount of power used to construct them within the same time period.

Tha same cannot be said for nuclear/oil/gas/coal fuelled power stations. Or can it?

The wind versus fossil fuels debate is an interesting one and I have to say that I come down firmly on the side of wind turbines, though the only obstacle to their widespread use is the usual NIMBY squad who like the idea but don't want to have them in their own backyard or even county.

Do you have a link to a source that would explain your comment above?

Archived