Coucillor Payments

mollag

Firstly i have no axe to grind here, i am genuinley curious.

In previous times, councillors tended to be businessmen or people with private means as the council was unpaid. In thes days of professional councillors, D Christian, Ms Ramsey etc, how do they survive moneywise?

doesn't DWC have an office cleaning business? anyhow doesn't he also still live in a Corpy house where the rent is paid by his mother...so he doesn't have a mortgage to worry about..so how can he and the other two Cllrs for Hills Ward (who just happen to be his neighbours in Spring Valley) have any concept of what home ownership responsibilities are?

Don't know Mollag, but my guess is that you would be paid a modest retainer (or just expenses) for being just a Councillor with no executive function, i.e. turn up to meetings to set the policy and direction for the executives to put into effect, deal with constituents etc. If, however, you are given an executive function on top involving more time, I would imagine, you would be remunerated.

I could be wrong for the Corpie, but that is normally how these things work.

Apart from the remuneration aspect, perhaps there are fewer candidates because potentials would prefer to set their sights on being an MHK?

doesn't DWC have an office cleaning business? anyhow doesn't he also still live in a Corpy house where the rent is paid by his mother...so he doesn't have a mortgage to worry about..so how can he and the other two Cllrs for Hills Ward (who just happen to be his neighbours in Spring Valley) have any concept of what home ownership responsibilities are?

He still live with his mother in a Corpy house and runs his businees from there, he also has a flat built by Dandara in Union Mills which is rented out to two nurses.

and as for the rest of them they all do well out of Corpy contracts :rolleyes:

Archived