Top Motor For Sale

Stu Peters

A once in a lifetime petrolhead opportunity has come up for me, which means I would need to pass on the good luck and put my gorgeous supercharged Jag up for sale.

Basically, she's the straight six, full leather and all the toys, automatic and power everything - 320bhp and goes like stink yet in the refined luxury of black ash woodwork, wilton carpet and Connolly hide.

Having spent almost £3000 before Xmas on a suspension overhaul - including replacement diff, UJ's, shocks and bushes, I WAS planning to keep her for a couple of years more to get the value of the investment - but like I said, something has come up (more on that if it works out).

She had new wheels and PZero tyres when I bought her in August 04 (original wheels shown in pic come with the car too), and has been serviced meticulously by Paul at South Coast. Very low miles, as you'd expect on the Island.

The Jag 'owes' me around £11,000...but on the basis you never get back the cash you pay on upkeep, I'll take a pill and let her go to a good home for £8000 o.n.o. PM me or call 491138.

post-75-1142200442_thumb.jpg

Final bump down to £7500...no offers, and if there's no interest at this remarkable bargain-bin price, for what is, after all, a British motoring icon, I guess I'll just keep her and be a two car family again.

Thanks for the comments C-T, although I don't entirely agree with you.

The Jap import route is something that makes many people nervous - probably caused by UK dealerships defending their markets and spreading unfounded horror stories. I Do agree with the dealer vs. private thing - although anyone who has ever tried to enforce one of these paper 'dealer' warranties usually has a tale of woe to recount.

I'm sure there are lots of people like me who love classy and expensive cars, but at the right price. Things like Jags take a HUGE depreciation knock in the first few years, so there are some fantastic 5-10 year-old examples around - but many have started to go to seed.

The point about mine is that I've taken care of all that and am selling a car with pretty much all the looks and performance of a new one, and the knowledge that a top local workshop has been looking after it for years and know the car. Anyone interested could always call Paul at SCP for an independent appraisal.

To be honest, I can't be bothered with the rigmarole of trying to sell the car across, so will probably keep her if there's no serious interest here.

• 1 month later...

Picked up the 'new' car last weekend (pictured) and Pitstop Paul tells me she needs lots of undercarriage and oily bits work to get her 100% - so I really must get my ass in gear and flog the Jag I suppose.

Don't think the price is too high at £7495 - so even if it's not for you, please mention her to anyone who wants a really good (and powerful) Jag that has been properly sorted!

post-75-1147616361_thumb.jpg

Chopley - this wasn't just an impulse purchase - it's a LONG story (so I'll post it in the Writer's Forum inkylinky). All the stories you've heard about Lotus reliability are wrong - certainly in my experience.

Kitty - thanks! She (Lottie) is to my eyes THE best proportioned sports car of all time. Every inch and angle of her is perfect - unlike many (much more expensive) supercars, which generally have something not quite right about part of them.

CT "Blimey, a Lotus Esprit - it's a brave man who takes on a "fine slice of British motor engineering" such as that

Lovely car Stu, hope it doesn't blow up too often....."

agreed, a prominent Athol Street businessman once parked his Lotus outside the office and 10mins later it was going up in smoke...

Archived