The "now That It's Closed" Thread

Amadeus

Taking that this will be the case for the next 5/7/? weeks..

post-1086-1142241453_thumb.jpg

..why not open a "Now that it's closed" thread - rants, experiences and other stuff welcome :ph34r:

Had a look around Douglas this morning - pretty busy on all roads, with not many happy faces to be spotted - the tailback at Summerland was quite impressive - spot your car:

post-1086-1142241585_thumb.jpg post-1086-1142241599_thumb.jpg

post-1086-1142241618_thumb.jpg post-1086-1142241634_thumb.jpg

Rant away then...

I didn't realise it was closed until the lady at the petrol station told me. I swing by the coast road every day but didn't notice the traffic that bad, there was the usual slow-down by Summerland but that just gave me an opportunity to have a nose now they've taken the wooden boarding down heh.

I still think the Island should think about building new roads - bite the bullet and push ahead.

Where exactly do you want the roads? In to Douglas? How about taking Mohammed to the mountain instead (no offence Rog) and de-Doulas some things?? Incetivise businesses to locate outside of Douglas; have a proper park and ride system.

Taking that this will be the case for the next 5/7/? weeks..

spot your car:

post-1086-1142241634_thumb.jpg

You go me on that one - I was wondering why someone was taking pics on the prom in the rain :lol:

My trip in from Ramsey was fine really. Slower than using the mountain, as it was always going to be - but it was steady and the prom, although busy, was flowing quickly.

I left Ramsey at 0755 and was in Shaws brow for 0840 ish

If its like that every day, its going to be OK.

At least thr traffic lights have gone from Summerland

I saw the guys removing the boards, lights, etc last night - bitterly cold, teeming rain and with waves coming over the sea wall - can't have been much fun!

Brilliant - First day of the road closure - Some fool runs over one of our ducks and another (maybe the same person) crashed into the entrance to our drive.

Nobody leaves a note - instead a nice big crack in the wall, a squashed duck and glass all over the shrubs.

Thanks!

To be totally honest, I expected a lot more chaos to ensue today, with the mountain road closed and all that - I guess the fact that people travelling to and from Douglas seem to cope quite well with the situation is a good thing, although you have another 5+ weeks to go....

You go me on that one - I was wondering why someone was taking pics on the prom in the rain :lol:

Which one is yours then? :)

TBH - I was just up way too early and bored, so went out for a drive in my fancy rental car (the Rover is feeling a bit sick at the moment, as Rovers usually do - although it's actually half a Honda - but it still breaks down all the time... BTW: Please don't tell anyone back home that I love my little Rover - I could get stripped of my German passport for that..)

I saw the guys removing the boards, lights, etc last night - bitterly cold, teeming rain and with waves coming over the sea wall - can't have been much fun!

Yep, it definitely was cold and wet out there, I agree - but once again, ze Germans got there first - IOM cab drivers, just can't keep up with the "continental pace" it seems :)

post-1086-1142282979_thumb.jpg

Brilliant - First day of the road closure - Some fool runs over one of our ducks and another (maybe the same person) crashed into the entrance to our drive.

Nobody leaves a note - instead a nice big crack in the wall, a squashed duck and glass all over the shrubs.

Thanks!

punchline: Did you report it to the police? I guess that it must be pretty easy to spot a car with broken headlights, or find out which garage has received a request to fix a car with damage matching your description. I know for a fact that the police can find out the type of car involved in the accident if you have a certain amount of debris at the scene - pieces of glass, bits of the bumper with the colour still on it - all enough to narrow it down to the make, model and year - that is, if they want to...

Enjoyed playing dodge the flooding on the way into Ramsey though. Fat tyres and deep puddles do not mix

Hehe - flooding..had loads of fun today...

post-1086-1142283942_thumb.jpg post-1086-1142283968_thumb.jpg

Flooding at Glen Helen, water at Tesco's, and other wet stuff (1min49sec):

Wet.3gp

(it's a .3gp clip, which is the mobile phone video format - RealPlayer should be able to handle that)

QUOTE WSAG:

Where exactly do you want the roads? In to Douglas? How about taking Mohammed to the mountain instead (no offence Rog) and de-Doulas some things?? Incetivise businesses to locate outside of Douglas; have a proper park and ride system.

I agree, but it won't work until there is a large financial dis-incentive to drive into Central Douglas..i.e road charging etc as discussed on previous thread...

Archived