Manx Forums Question Time

Spatula girl

Why should the politicians get to ask all the questions and provide the answers?

How about a Question time where we, the people, can pose our own questions

To the Great God of Manx Forums is it possible to set up a category alongside International news, general chat etc specifically for this

I know some would suggest using Local news but I fear this would get lost due to the high volume of subjects which appear regularly

Maybe I'm the only one who cares but as this is an election year I think it would be good to get our opportunity to ask questions and maybe some posters may have the answers - who knows maybe the politicans who look at this site could pick up and run with what we want to know

Just a thought

Just another thought......

If you've got questions that you want answered, why not ask you MHK? As you have already said, they are pretty good at asking questions and getting answers. And then they would have to 'pick up and run' with what they were told.

This is because when they do ask something a whole bunch of civil service hamsters start scurrying around to get the answers for them.

It might work better than asking a question on a forum and ending up with 17 different answers (which aren't answers at all because most people who think they know, probably don't).

Would it not be possible to host a live web chat? Obviously the questions can be fielded by a moderator/interviewer to allow sensible questions through and stop the "you don't sweat much for a fat bloke" comments to Pam Crowe. You would just need a fast touch typist then to transcribe the comments from the interviewee onto the chat.

Mods?

It's been suggested before and I believe someone approached some MHKs about it but none of them were interested at that time.

Whether their position has changed, I don't know. We don't have a problem facilitating it as it raises our profile and it's all good for us, but it hinges on an MHK being willing to step up and give it a go.

Would Peter Karran not do it? Or Bill Henderson? They both usually have quite a lot to say. Perhaps expand it to include others - MD of Manx Telecom or Manx Gas. Spokeperson from Dandara. The dog shit guy from one of the other threads...

Start with something smaller and prove that it can be organised in a positive and constructive way. No one will volunteer to appear on a web chat if they know they're going to get shot down by complete strangers for 30 minutes.

Like I say, we'd be more than happy to do something like this and discuss with whoever it is the best way to do things fairly, but that first contact just isn't there.

Moderated question and answers would be easy enough to do. You have the subject and mods with permissions to chat direct to the channel and people get to submit questions via private message to the mods. That way the questions are vetted and checked beforehand to weed out the pisstakers.

It would be an interesting experiment, but it will take someone brave to be the first.

It would be an interesting experiment, but it will take someone brave to be the first.

Or stupid and there's plenty of them.

Trouble is, you'll only get the open and relatively honest people agreeing to it such as Karran, Henderson and Houghton and those with little chance of getting into CoMin.

Can you imagine Corkill or Bell agreeing to it?

Can you imagine Corkill or Bell agreeing to it?

I would have thought that politicians would be willing to take any sort of opportunity that might put them in a good light. Even with the little knowledge I have of local politics, I know it would be unlikely that those two would, but someone else involved who want to appeal to the younger generation by appearing 'with it' regarding new technology and communication channels, sure, why not?

With lots of threads about Manx Radio, how about Stu Peters starting us off with a discussion about MR and how it services the community?

I agree with Ans that it isn't really the job of a presenter to take on a task like that. If you wanted a forum of that kind it would require people such as Anthony Pugh (Managing Director), Darren Leeming (Director of Technology), Chris Williams (Director of Programming), John Marsom (Business Director) & Graham Bell (News & Current Affairs Editor) to answer questions.

It's just an internet forum, with a few dozen regular contributors. It won't interest them. If you want a generic copied and pasted bland response that doesn't commit to anything, then write to them.

Maybe so but it's where IoM newspapers and most of the lazy journos (you know who you are) over here get most of their news I reckon so it'll eventually get to a wider audience.

Archived