Manx Forums Question Time

Spatula girl

Politicians don't speak like the rest of us. They will only ever say the good bits that they want us to know and then content depends on them establishing which side of the fence you sit on before they respond.

They are by nature "Press Releases" on legs.

It is true that those without portfolios can speak a bit free-er (?) but only because they don't have a vested interest to defend.

Mr Bell showed us a perfect example of "thinking" last week when he voiced disappointment at the proposed Quayside development... He was soon rapped on the knuckles for stepping away from Ministerial collective opinion.

Most questions that we public are likely to raise can be answered "from memory programming" and questions that might involve or provoke thought would be sidestepped to be answered "in the fullness of time".

I could foresee problems with politicians participating in that they would not have civil servants on hand to draft and write their scripts, or prepare their briefs or background papers. Though as Eddie Teare MHK has made comments that there are far too many in the civil service it might be a job opportunity for any displaced ones!

Can they not give a straight answer to a straight question?

Anyway get that Quintin Gill sod on here, so we can laugh at him for the stupid question he asked about teh internets a few years back.

I'd like to ask him where's he been hiding since the last election.

I have been putting my views on this Forum since October.

I have of course not decided whether to stand or not as yet but if I do I will be happy to take part in a Q & A seession.

A member said that only a few dozen post, but that is the same with all message boards. A collective few are regulars but many people read.

Please do not be put off expressing views. I think it is important to do so in this election year even if a large number of good folk in here are not interested in the politics of the Isle of Man.

It's an excellent point. Even though only a few vote or comment in such threads as 'Sitting Memebers - one at a time,' some of them attract well over a thousand 'views.'

1,000 views, not 1,000 viewers. It's the same people going back again each time there are new replies they haven't read. Each click counts as a view.

Just don't get your hopes up about serious politicians using this as a way of communicating. How often do things get misinterpreted on here? It's a potential minefield, where any argument can and will get torn to pieces And when it's in writing it can come back to haunt them. They'll stick to the safety of waffling on the radio to a much, much bigger audience, with a friendly presenter.

But I'll be happy to be proved wrong.

There seem to be a few politicians read this forum. I think they would need to be regular users to appreciate the nature of the forum in how serious or representative the views are, though.

I have been led to believe that Mannin Line was never broadcast on a Tuesday because that was the day that Tywnwald sat, and the politicians wouldn't want to miss out on that particular source of public opinion !

Quite a few would come on the Mannin Line claiming they just er, happened to be listening. (It was never considered cool to listen to Mannin Line was it?!).

Perhaps the mods could create a Local Politics section, as did Manx.net forums. That would also assist people who are simply just not interested in politics.

Edited to add that the 'Sitting Members - one at a time' threads are only yet in their infancy. Come the election I am sure they will be a useful 'cut-out and keep' type of guide to candidates.

And there are all the non-sitting candidates to catalogue yet. That might become interesting because we will be dealing with people who are largely unknown. Maybe such people will realise this forum is a useful medium for them to get known.

Interesting point about how many dip into the Forums to see what's being said - but how many of them are 'e-active'

So my first question to be posted on 'Manx Forums Question Time' is this -

How many MHKs have their own website?

Nice 'n easy and not rocking the boat too much

Archived