5 Years To Build A Half Mile

Ripsaw

Apparently Ballasalla needs a bypass, according to Ken Ashcroft "'The traffic situation in Ballasalla is frightening and it is getting worse all the time."

Linky Thing

This i don't dispute. Question is if it is needed now and it is only half a mile in length then why wait 5 years to build it?

Windy Corner started with a few weeks notice, Brandish is already being touted to be starting ASAP.

Consultants carried out traffic surveys last summer in Ballasalla, an exhibition is planned for next month and a "business case" is to be built in conjunction with residents, commisioner and stakeholders.

The work is claimed to be " the first major new road built by the government in a century"

It's half a mile of tarmac.

Good idea, appauling timescale

Yep, they've been saying this for years! " We'll build a by pass to calm the traffic ".

It wont happen, they said they do it nearly 5 years ago!!!!!

Government talking shit yet again :rolleyes:

Is extra roads really the answer...hasnt worked in the UK (not that thats always a good benchmark). How about fewer cars and better public transport....

Agreed.

The DOT can't even maintain the roads they've got. Total and utter shambles!

/off thread

I've had this crowd sitting on my doorstep (on & off) for the last 2 months... Plenty of discussion, not much work though! and the Gov has the cheek to add an extra fiver to your road tax for what? the roads in the North are an absolute disgrace!

/back on thread

Is extra roads really the answer...hasnt worked in the UK (not that thats always a good benchmark). How about fewer cars and better public transport....

I have bleated on numerous occasions that Commuter trains are a viable proposition, the problem is that Government haven't got the will/brain power/conviction* to make it viable.

(* Delete/emphasise as applicable)

So they appointed a company called TAS to carry out a consultation and the computer says no.

The consultation was a total waste of time as it didn't resolve what measures should/could be implimented to encourage less car usage from the South into the Capital, it simply asked "Would you use a train?"

So we taxpayers stummped up for a UK company to ask a couple of half arsed questions on the Governments behalf with the (intended?) result that the railway is a worthless commodity that only serves to be a continual drain on the public purse.

a Ballasalla bypass is a great idea and I agree 5 years to do it is ridiculous.

Why dont they just hire some Irish in. It will be done in about 2 days.

btw when was Castletown bypass built? wont that be younger than 100 years old?

..and the Gov has the cheek to add an extra fiver to your road tax for what?

I believe the extra 5 quid were needed for the electronic speed signs, that light up when you pass them too fast - there was no money in the kitty for them, so up goes the tax...

Archived