When Is Carpet An Expensive Luxury...

manxchatterbox

I wonder how many of the Douglas ratepayers think it worthwhile that their rates have gone up by 6.4% to pay for the new carpet in the Town Hall - that was specially woven with the Crest.

And now the Corpy have the "problem" of the previous carpet being stored in the basement that they don't know what to do with!!! Suggestions please...

I wonder how many of the Douglas ratepayers think it worthwhile that their rates have gone up by 6.4% to pay for the new carpet in the Town Hall - that was specially woven with the Crest.

All that 6.4% on a carpet only?

Worth every penny of my rates. It's good to see a bit of bling.

As someone contributed to MR this morning, anyone over the age of 40 will remember houses without central heating. It was cold, and you had to jump into bed quick to avoid freezing and get dressed in bed the following morning. The walls of the house I was brought up in were always clammy (built well before DPC). But it really wasn't a life or death situation; that was just how things were then.

Now, we have come to expect better standards and, rightly so, all the Pulrose houses should be programmed for improvement (they were only built with a short life expectancy to accommodate clearance of the North Quay area. In truth, they have more than served their purpose and their replacement now is long overdue), but there is a programme in place and Linda Ramsey has invited the contributor to contact her office for immediate assistance.

All in all, I wouldn't like to live in a house as described, but Douglas Corpie are trying. Perhaps a few oil filled radiators and a rebate against the electricity bill would help.

if I were one of those tenants living in cold damp houses in Pulrose I might be thinking of how lucky I am to live in a country that provides a roof over the heads of people who need it. I would also be thinking about the rest of the population who are paying thousands towards a mortgage and rates to keep the roof over my head

Fixed your post

Tell them to put a jumper on and stop bitching.

And now the Corpy have the "problem" of the previous carpet being stored in the basement that they don't know what to do with!!! Suggestions please...

Sell it to Tynwald so they can brush a few more bits of dirt under it.

Now, we have come to expect better standards and, rightly so, all the Pulrose houses should be programmed for improvement (they were only built with a short life expectancy to accommodate clearance of the North Quay area. In truth, they have more than served their purpose and their replacement now is long overdue), but there is a programme in place and Linda Ramsey has invited the contributor to contact her office for immediate assistance.

As far as I am aware all the houses built at Pulrose to accomodate the clearance of the North Quay area have now been demolished and either have been replaced or will be when the current development in LOWER PULROSE is complete. Upper Pulrose was built much later as permanent, rather than temporary, housing.

Incidentally, I lived in various houses for over thirty years which did not have central heating, one of them even had the bog in the back yard and there was not even electric light in it. Did me no harm and I got off my fat arse and did something about myself - had to, it was so cold, if you peed your pants, you'd either have to have them chiseled off or be stuck in them until they thawed out in Spring.

I also missed the "new carpet" line on the itemised list of expenditure on this years rates. Was it next to "Horsetrams" and "Swimming Pool"

6.4p in the pound buys a hell of a lot of carpet

not sure about the corpy but the government have money to throw away, Manx radio has paid someone to go to australia for the commonwealth games!

In this day and age with all the technology available do we need to send someone over to cover this event when all the info can be obtained from the press office over there?

Archived