Do Golfers Vote With Their Feet?

manxchatterbox

Peel is better than Douglas.

And that's according to the approximately 125 golfers who have moved from Douglas Golf Club and course to join and play at Peel.

The problem is something to do with the first fairway and green where the area has been re-seeded but the grass hasn't improved..so they are going to get it turfed over. I'm no expert but doesn't it sound as though there is some underlying problem with the soil/ground as to why the re-seeded area hasn't improved? So, won't it be a waste of time effort and money just putting turf down cos surely that won't take either...a grass (green lawn type) expert gardener please....

The more people who leave douglas club the best it is for house builders to use the land and shove a brand new golf course up near the incinerator. Golfers don't care, they just want to play golf and do deals and that.

Peel is better than Douglas.

In fairness, all of the courses on the Island (bar 1 maybe) are better than Pulrose. It only ever had a good following because it was as cheap as chips.

But people won't be shafted forever by shite facilities.

The trouble with the first and last holes was that they just dumped a load of rubble there when they repaired it, so the fairway is full of rocks and you risk damaging equipment when you hit off it. I have a dedicated club for that fairway that I don't mind damaging.

Some of the holes are great, but around there par for the course is 3 balls nicked by kids from the estate who try to sell them back to you a couple of holes later, and 2 arguments with drunk scallies riding their scramblers around. The lovely view of the power station doesn't quite make up for it. Peel is far better, as is anywhere else.

Best course is Castletown. Ramsey and Peel are both pretty good too. Mt Murray has great facilities and is well maintained, but course design is poor. KEB and Rowany are decent courses, but let down by lack of length. PSM is only 9 holes, while Glen Truan (Bride) has the potential to be the best of the lot if enough money is ploughed into it.

Best club? Dunno. I've heard plenty of members at C'town moan about the fees, the way competitions are run etc. I only have experience of KEB, and not a bad thing to say about it. Cheap, convenient, and friendly crowd. And if you play at KEB other courses seem easy in comparison.

I'm no expert but ...

You should start most of the drivel you post with those same immortal words.

Why did you post this?

What is the point of the question?

What are you getting at?

Is it really relevant to absolutely anything?

• 3 weeks later...

did I hear that correctly?? on MR to-day Douglas Corpy is to spend £1.5 million (go on say it out loud - one and a half million pounds) of ratepayers money on a new golf club house..........how is that going to be financed ? what is the pay back ?

also its cost £9k of ratepayers money to turf over the 150 tons of infill which is probably inert and which is why the grass seed wouldn't grow...

So let's get this straight.

You start the thread moaning that Douglas Golf Club is losing loads of members, and now you are moaning about them investing some money, maybe with the effect of attracting more (i.e. new) members.

Numpty.

did I hear that correctly?? on MR to-day Douglas Corpy is to spend £1.5 million (go on say it out loud - one and a half million pounds) of ratepayers money on a new golf club house

I can not confirm the cost, but:

Plans have been submitted for a new golf clubhouse in Douglas on the Isle of Man.

If the plans are approved, work could start by September with the new facilities ready late next summer.

David Christian, leisure services committee, said the present building had come to the end of its life.

Source: BBC IOM - Friday, 7 April 2006

Which makes me wonder why...

...One of the world's leading golf course designers will be used if plans to create a new facility at Middle Farm on the Isle of Man go ahead.

Planning permission has been granted for the development, seen as a replacement for Douglas Golf Club.

Source: BBC IOM - Sunday, 5 February 2006

I'm confused :blink: (again)

Archived