Do Golfers Vote With Their Feet?

manxchatterbox

my concerns are in respect of the accountability of ratepayers money and that there is little done to tell or engage ratepayers prior to the expenditure of their money taking place....it always seems to be de facto...how would anyone like someone else to dip into their bank account and then turn round and tell them "oh I spent it on x I didn't think you would mind" ??? ...if you don't mind someone else spending your hard earned money without discussing it with you in advance and getting your permission then just crawl away and curl up into a ball...

Cllr DC says there are four ful time staff lookimg after the Douglas course yet flags go missing from greens during the night....

Where do the flags go to and what are they used for???

Why don't they collect the flags in each night and put them out in the morning (or is that too obvious)??

Which is the best club to join on the island then?
having been a member at both Castletown and Peel, and having played all of the courses, Glen Truan WILL be the best, but it will need proper investment and work carried out, however undoubtedly a superb track in the making.

However, the best is undoubtedly Peel, very playable, but not that easy to score on despite its short length, and always in trememndous condition.

Castletown has superb greens, but the clubhouse(?) is terrible, and outwith the greens and tees, is very rough and ready, and is way way overpriced for what you get.

Mount Murray is dreadful, way too long, way too exposed, and generally just a poor design stuck over a couple of fields.

Ramsey is a super little course, in generally pretty good condition, with probably the best clubhouse on the island.

The rest just aren't really up to much to be honest, although Rowany has a couple of lovely holes around the back, but is generally very poor.

• 2 years later...

Blimey. Talk about bringing a topic back from the dead.

Personally I am a fan of Glen Truan. I think the course layout is great but as mentioned it does need money spending on it. It has the potential to be a very good course. I will have to go up there for a round when it gets a bit hotter.

Blimey. Talk about bringing a topic back from the dead.

Personally I am a fan of Glen Truan. I think the course layout is great but as mentioned it does need money spending on it. It has the potential to be a very good course. I will have to go up there for a round when it gets a bit hotter.

Aye, I played there before I left the island, thought the course had tremedous potantial, just that it's in the wrong pace to get much traffic, and therefore members and casual visitors.

I have to start by saying this is a little biased as I am a memeber at Douglas Golf and Country club ;) But the course has improved no end under the guidance of Mike V and the Douglas corporation - yes the first and second are a little patchy but hey, were else can us underpaid overworked get a game on the Island for less than £350.00 per year.

Golf is not just about playing, its the friendship and camaradeire (sp) that goes with it, and Douglas certainly has enough characters from all walks of life that will keep you amused in the club house for hours - were else does this happen on the Island.

So come on and take it up, rather than shout about how much it costs us tax payers, get yourseves some clubs get down have a good time and get fit as well, that is if you do not consume 10 pints after swapping stories about your round and how some scalley nicked your ball on the 17th.

Archived