The Www - What Does It Cost To Use

manxchatterbox

as opposed to domestic use - does anyone know what the cost is to commercial internet cafes of providing internet access?

The Douglas library charges:-

first half hour - free

50p per half hour afterwards

and internet charges are 75p for 15 minutes

...is this expensive? would you use the facilitie there or how about teh costs at Feegans or Crush or anywhere else?

as opposed to domestic use - does anyone know what the cost is to commercial internet cafes of providing internet access?

first half hour - free

...is this expensive? would you use the facilitie there or how about teh costs at Feegans or Crush or anywhere else?

Not really to sure if this is expensive!!

Feegans in Victoria Street is fantastic with the most helpful staff that you will ever find on the IOM, Harry and his missus who run Feegans are brilliant, I would recommend anyone with an internet cafe need to try them, believe me they are great.

Last Ten

Forgot to add that if you are wanting to set up a website, in whatever software, Harry from Feegans is the Boy to ask, he will sort you out whatever your needs.

Fantastic traditional and friendly Manx service.

Last Ten...

Forgot to add that if you are wanting to set up a website, in whatever software, Harry from Feegans is the Boy to ask, he will sort you out whatever your needs.

You on commision Last Ten :P

Owning an internet cafe doesn't make you a web designer....It makes you a internet cafe owner....

I found Harry at Feegan's most helpful before I bought my own computer a couple of years ago. Nothing was too much trouble. When there was a problem he would sort it out and ensure that I was not out of pocket.

first half hour - free

When you were in the library and wondered "How do these charges compare to the private sector?That'll make a good thread!" Did it not occur to you to pop next door and find out for yourself.

And why do we need two threads on the library and whether it is value for money?

well lets see...

essentially one thread is about the costs of housing the library and whether its value for money the property being rented over the long term as oppossed to it being owned outright..whereas the other is about the cost of accessing the internet -which because its being offered by a public body as a public service (albeit primarily to ratepayers/Douglas residents firstly) should surely be done at no more than the break even cost and it looks to me as though the costs are way above what are charged elsewhere but I'm not sure and expect knowledgeable forum members will ....

which because its being offered by a public body as a public service (albeit primarily to ratepayers/Douglas residents firstly) should surely be done at no more than the break even cost

Why should a government funded service be allowed to operate in a non profit making capacity in a marketplace that has competing private businesses that need to turn a profit to survive?

It should offer the service at a level that is average market price in comparison with competing services.

1) the Douglas Library in Victoria Street is operated by Douglas Corpn and so its not a Government funded service - the Douglas ratepayers pay for it.

2) Libraries are acknolwedged as a public service which IMO should be run so as to maximise public usage at the minimum cost to the ratepayers. By having internet access charges higher than the actual cost of provision makes a nonsense of providing work stations that are not used...

1) the Douglas Library in Victoria Street is operated by Douglas Corpn and so its not a Government funded service - the Douglas ratepayers pay for it.

Ok, my mistake. The point still stands that it's unfair competition from a public entity in a private sector market.

2) Libraries are acknolwedged as a public service which IMO should be run so as to maximise public usage at the minimum cost to the ratepayers. By having internet access charges higher than the actual cost of provision makes a nonsense of providing work stations that are not used...

The library is a public service. There are no 'private libraries' competing with it for books. There are private companies competing with them offering their services as an Internet Cafe, which is what they're doing. They absolutely should not be using a pricing structure that offers them an advantage because they don't need to turn a profit. It's unfair on private businesses.

Ok, my mistake. The point still stands that it's unfair competition from a public entity in a private sector market.

The library is a public service. There are no 'private libraries' competing with it for books. There are private companies competing with them offering their services as an Internet Cafe, which is what they're doing. They absolutely should not be using a pricing structure that offers them an advantage because they don't need to turn a profit. It's unfair on private businesses.

The UK Govt has long had a policy that the public sector should not compete with the private sector, which IMO is right. They should only either provide non-commercial services (i.e. those services that no commercial body would/could provide) or, if they have to provide a service which is in competition with the private sector, only do so on fair terms and charge market rates. Perhaps the answer is for the library to offer cheaper internet access only to the usual concessionary groups, but full price to the rest of us?

...blah....blah......By having internet access charges higher than the actual cost of provision....blah....blah.....

of course with yet another of your sweeping views on a subject, you forget to think 'outside the box'.

How do they pay of the maintenance of the hardware?

How did they pay for the hardware itself?

How do they pay for upgrades each year?

How do they pay for the electricity used?

So by selling the internet usage on a straight cost basis, it would be costing the ratepayers more money and thus would require you to create even more inane threads regarding Douglas corporation.

For my money, they should charge double if it stops that happening........

Feegans in Victoria Street is fantastic with the most helpful staff that you will ever find on the IOM, Harry and his missus who run Feegans are brilliant, I would recommend anyone with an internet cafe need to try them, believe me they are great.

Last Ten

seconded - Harry helped me a lot in the past, and he couldn't have been more friendly and helpful...

Archived