Why No Press Reports

Theskeat

Every year the T T gets bad press when ever anyone is killed, yet by last Friday 10 Bike riders had been killed on the roads at Daytona and all within the 60mph speed limits, also 3 young girls were murdered at the same race meeting

Every year the T T gets bad press when ever anyone is killed, yet by last Friday 10 Bike riders had been killed on the roads at Daytona and all within the 60mph speed limits, also 3 young girls were murdered at the same race meeting

Theskeat

Info link/s please!

Last Ten

But how can you compare?

Daytona Beach Bike Week attracts 600,000 bikers in the first week. This amount of bikes plus the increase in cars is bound to have some casualties - even at 60mph! From reports I've read most are drink related.

In fact it was 18 deaths this year. 3 more than the previous worst year 2000.

12 of the 18 were not wearing helmets:

In Florida, those 21 yrs. and older may ride without helmets only if they can show proof that they are covered by a medical insurance policy.

From what I have seen from a quick google the American press pretty much pans the event over the deaths similar to the bad press we recieve.

We get 30,000 bikers and sometimes have ten deaths. And they are all wearing helmets and 99% are sober. Maybe we deserve it eh?

Ive been going to Daytona Bike weeks for the past twenty years and the standard of bike riding is very good and very little sign of speeding by the bikers or over drinking and I would dispute your claim that most of the deaths this year were drink related, most accidents were caused by poor driving by car owners. And my opinion of the attendance tis year was way down on other years, many Hotels had vacant rooms and thats a first in my book.

My point is that the IOM DTI should be using these death figures at Daytona in defence of the TT death figures, the official attendance figures of visitors at Datona this year was given as just over 200000 and not all were bikers. The loss of life at any event is sad but in the IOM visiting bikers do more miles at higher speeds on smaller roads with big stone walls in Daytona they cruise arround wide streets or freeways with miles of run off areas and at low speeds.

To add to the comparison, in 2003 North Wales Police Chief Superintendent Geraint Anwyl said the number of motor bikers that had died that year was 18.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_west/3251455.stm

In the second week of September last year, 26 motorcycle riders were killed in Montana.

Source: http://www.helenair.com/articles/2005/09/1...ejaichhgefa.txt

The UK Department of Transport reported that 693 motorcyclists were killed in road accidents in 2003.

6,959 were seriously injured

Motorcyclists represent 1% of traffic but represent 20% of deaths and serious injuries

Motorcycle riders are 40 times more likely to be killed than car drivers

Source: http://www.thinkroadsafety.gov.uk/statistics.htm

Motorcycles and motorbikes belong to a group of vehicles that often take part in a small number of road accidents. The statistics speak for itself, as motorcycle riders are just 1% of traffic. Therefore a motorcycle accident is small in number, but they suffer 19% of deaths and serious injuries.

Stav.

And from todays Times 71 have been killed so far this season in the Alps, should they now ban skiing as it kills more people a year than the TT

What's that as a percentage of the total numbers of skiiers?

To be honest I don't buy this some killed by mountaineering, skiing etc

How many people have died climbing Snaefell? - none

Just because people die on Everest etc what's it got to do with the Isle of Man?

If people are being killed coz they race in the Isle of Man then i'm concerned - if they fall down a hole in nepal then why should i get concerned?

And from todays Times 71 have been killed so far this season in the Alps, should they now ban skiing as it kills more people a year than the TT

I have seen estimates of approx 7 million visit the Alps for Skiing during a season. But that might just be to some resorts. It could be more.

0.001% chance of death! Good odds.

So sorry Theskeat your skiing comparison means jack.

I have seen estimates of approx 7 million visit the Alps for Skiing during a season. But that might just be to some resorts. It could be more.

0.001% chance of death! Good odds.

So sorry Theskeat your skiing comparison means jack.

Add the miles up covered by the bikers and the conditions they ride in, they dont land in a nice pile of soft snow when they come off now do they. All Im getting at is why do people cry out if a biker is killed on the Island but sod all is mentioned when someone is killed at another sport, or is it a case of the Finacial industry lot prefer skiing to bike racing. If its common to have deaths in any sport then something should be done but to single out one sport is not on :angry:

times story

Archived