Brown Is Going Green

Charles Flynn

Out of interest, and I am not arguing for argument's sake, what are the economic problems to which you refer? Presumably these will be the same as we had when we used horses on land and sailing ships on the seas for transportation?

Its a good question and its one which is occupying the thoughts of energy analysts and consultants all over the world.

The fact is that western economies are heavily dependent on fossil fuels and oil in particular. The majority of energy analysts believe a variance between supply and demand of as little as 15 % could result in widespread poverty in oil dependent economies such as our own.

Energy analysts are notoriously pessimistic but it is now now becoming accepted amongst mainstream economists that the aftermath of Peak Oil will result in major recessions and depression in western type economies such as ours.

I think I have already posted a link to the Peak Oil Association web site so I wont repeat post. Instead take a look at this forecast After Peak Oil. The author isnt a crank or a conspiracy theorist he is simply stating conventional economic wisdom about the aftermath of Peak Oil.

I do accept there will be some people who for one reason or another would welcome the collapse of western economies but I dont think many of us would do. i hope not anyhow!

Outside of Oil, Natural Gas, which is essentially the same product anyhow, is depleting quickly, Uranium is a finite resource and we dont have many other options available for large scale production of our energy requirement outside of coal. Coal, too, is a finite resource. It also has limited scope in terms of its application and has a regrettable impact on the environment. (and yes I have read the news about coal blends being able to power aircraft!)

There is a vast body of literature on and off line available for anyone with an interest in Peak Oil and I would recommend you tap into it. (You might then think twice about buying that 4WD gas guzzler or 12 cylinder Jag!)

So there is a good economic argument that we need to find a replacement for fossil fuels and nucleur energy if we are to maintain our standard of living.

I would also argue there is a good environmental argument for finding a replacement to fossil fuels. We need to act as good stewards of the planet if our grandchildren are to enjoy their lives.

Renewable technologies would seem to offer the best chance of averting economic and environmental disaster. It may, of course, be the case that new technologies might emerge and save the daybut I have to say the chances of that happening seem remarkably slim.

All that, and more, is why I am a proponent of encouraging the development of renewable technologies as viable and eventually dominant means of supplying our energy needs.

I dont think Im the only one !

Edit: For best appreciation and credible documents follow the links in the text. Cheers

Out of interest, and I am not arguing for argument's sake, what are the economic problems to which you refer? Presumably these will be the same as we had when we used horses on land and sailing ships on the seas for transportation?

Its a good question and its one which is occupying the thoughts of energy analysts and consultants all over the world.

The fact is that western economies are heavily dependent on fossil fuels and oil in particular. The majority of energy analysts believe a variance between supply and demand of as little as 15 % could result in widespread poverty in oil dependent economies such as our own.

Energy analysts are notoriously pessimistic but it is now now becoming accepted amongst mainstream economists that the aftermath of Peak Oil will result in major recessions and depression in western type economies such as ours.

I think I have already posted a link to the Peak Oil Association web site so I wont repeat post. Instead take a look at this forecast After Peak Oil. The author isnt a crank or a conspiracy theorist he is simply stating conventional economic wisdom about the aftermath of Peak Oil.

I do accept there will be some people who for one reason or another would welcome the collapse of western economies but I dont think many of us would do. i hope not anyhow!

Outside of Oil, Natural Gas, which is essentially the same product anyhow, is depleting quickly, Uranium is a finite resource and we dont have many other options available for large scale production of our energy requirement outside of coal. Coal, too, is a finite resource. It also has limited scope in terms of its application and has a regrettable impact on the environment. (and yes I have read the news about coal blends being able to power aircraft!)

There is a vast body of literature on and off line available for anyone with an interest in Peak Oil and I would recommend you tap into it. (You might then think twice about buying that 4WD gas guzzler or 12 cylinder Jag!)

So there is a good economic argument that we need to find a replacement for fossil fuels and nucleur energy if we are to maintain our standard of living.

I would also argue there is a good environmental argument for finding a replacement to fossil fuels. We need to act as good stewards of the planet if our grandchildren are to enjoy their lives.

Renewable technologies would seem to offer the best chance of averting economic and environmental disaster. It may, of course, be the case that new technologies might emerge and save the daybut I have to say the chances of that happening seem remarkably slim.

All that, and more, is why I am a proponent of encouraging the development of renewable technologies as viable and eventually dominant means of supplying our energy needs.

I dont think Im the only one !

Edit: For best appreciation and credible documents follow the links in the text. Cheers

LoneWolf - thank you for this. I am work at the moment so will read properly later.

Finlo

Unfortunately, the kind of people who buy them don't actually read - they just look at the pictures.

Archived