Fritz And Ze German Test

Amadeus

Oh dear - this one made me laugh..

The Times, this most British of them all newspaper, was running an article about the newly proposed German Immigration test - it's basically just a bunch of questions about Germany, much like the thing the Dutch have introduced now. The temptation to finally be allowed to print a picture of Hitler again must have been too much for one Fleet street editor, who's now the laughing stock of Germany, and probably most of Europe.

Spot the mistake:

post-1086-1143102260_thumb.jpg

No - not Hitler - he just had to be there, it's an article about Germany, remember? The Flag! It's the Belgium one - ours looks a bit different:

post-1086-1143102529_thumb.jpg

Not satisfied with making one massive mistake, the journos then went on to print some of the questions from the mentioned test, and, as an extra service, also provided some of the answers. One question was:

What's the National Anthem called?

The correct answer would be "Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit" (Unity and law and freedom) - not according to the Times, though:

If it's after them, it's still "Deutschland, Deutschland über alles" (Germany, Germany above all - Above everything in the world...), and that just so happens to be the favourite version of the guy with the stiff arm further up - it's illegal now, and hasn't been used since the end of WWII :blink:

Unfortunately, no-one told the journos that - well, they could be forgiven for missing out on the happenings of the last 60 years I guess, taking that they love the past so much :)

Thank you, Times - you made my day! :D

Archived