Norman Kember Freed

The Old Git

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good news but sad that people who are peacemakers should be targeted and bear the retaliation of the Iraqui's for a war which they opposed.

Good news but sad that people who are peacemakers should be targeted and bear the retaliation of the Iraqui's for a war which they opposed.

Sad but true. You must really have to believe in the good in human nature to even set foot in that place.

However they do seem to be adopting a "shoot the american only" policy in these circumstances now. Normally the Europeans and the others are now ultimately being freed, unlike earlier captives who all seemed to meet the same end.

The whole campaign is just the most disgusting abuse of international law and abuse of power ever witnessed.

Great news, of course.

I doubt that their presence in Iraq was akin to the Crusades, more extending the hand of friendship to ordinary people caught up in a political and religious maelstrom. Often, voluntary aid workers are in these dangerous arenas because they feel strongly about humanity, not necessarily becasue they want to deliver a religious or political message, and are trying to 'make a difference' working at the micro rather than the macro level.

Whilst an opponent of religion per se, I do recognise that there are some truly good people who do want to make a difference that happen to have religious beliefs, but they put those on the back burner in favour of a desire to help. That desire is secondary to their religious beliefs (which I really would rather no-one held, but that is a separate debate).

There is only one religious group that I would support and that is Christian Aid whose tag line is that they believe in life before death. I can cope with that kind of christianity!

Christian Aid raises a lot of money on the Island for Third World projects with door to door collections. This year Christian Aid Week is May 14th - 20th.

He may be a man of peace but I reckon he was pretty pleased when the men of war turned up to free him.

Yes, makin' mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep

Is cheaper than them uniforms, an' they're starvation cheap.

An' hustlin' drunken soldiers when they're goin' large a bit

Is five times better business than paradin' in full kit.

Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an` Tommy, 'ow's yer soul? "

But it's " Thin red line of 'eroes " when the drums begin to roll

The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,

O it's " Thin red line of 'eroes, " when the drums begin to roll.

Just on the topic of charities.

I was a supporter of save the children but changed to another that less money was used to pay employess and has more volunteers thus more money being used as intended.

I may have been wrong to do this but at the time i felt it was the right choice.

Does anyone have any idea of what these people get paid that stop you in the street and phone you up?

I dont know i was just curious

Archived