Manx Radio And The Bbc

manxmedia

Expats in Spain, the Celtic Tiger dwellers in Southern Ireland, the Norwegians etc. do not pay a penny to the good old BBC and yet they can access all the sevices.

Us daft bu99ers in what we sometimes like to think is a separate country with its own quaint laws and oldest parliament in the W.. etc. pay a full licence fee.

There is a huge wedge of cash the BBC get from us each and every year for quite a relatively little return on their part. They can't let that go. (Although the odd £5million here and there goes adrift no problem with the Government jokers we have these days)

Mmmmhh, the Manx Radio conspiracy theory is starting to sound good.

We haven't see Stu Peters or his boss MANXJOCK around these parts for a while.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think you do need a Sky box (i.e. I don't think non Sky boxes are easy to come by - but I could be wrong - plus if you're not taking up a Sky package you wont get it for free)

Non Sky boxes (ie FTA satellite receivers) are inexpensive and readily available in the UK and mail order. Here for example is a kit (receiver, dish, lnb, cable, mount, scart lead) for £99 from Maplin. Many other cheaper and more expensive options exist from many different manufacturers and suppliers depending what people want.

Here is a page of receivers costing from about £60.

you just don't need a Sky card as the BBC no longer pays Sky to encode and scramble the BBC signal. However I don't think viewers can get the ITV network, Channel 4 or five without the Sky card as these are still encoded.

The ITV channels are no longer encrypted. No card needed.

Currently - the Sky freesat (or a current ex sub card) gives you additional access to 3 channels (compared with a free to air receiver) - ie C4, C5 and Sky 3.

The Sky 'freesat' deal makes good sense in many cases. They arrange for the kit to be fitted - which makes good sense if you don't feel confident enough to diy.

EDIT: see GD4ELI got in first

We haven't see Stu Peters or his boss MANXJOCK around these parts for a while.

Still posting...but not getting embroiled in debates about matters best left to others.

Expats in Spain, the Celtic Tiger dwellers in Southern Ireland, the Norwegians etc. do not pay a penny to the good old BBC and yet they can access all the sevices.

On the west of the IOM you can pick up Irish TV without paying for it.

And we can all choose to receive from thousands of digital channels via satellite coming direct from Europe / Scandinavia / Middle and near East. Without paying for them.

Even before satellite and cable - many people in Ireland had British TV for years via various illegal retransmission systems.

Thanks for this - I am most grateful. You could watch some Swiss TV if you want - I can't recommend it though.

You forgot to mention that the over-75's on the Island don't pay a licence fee either.

FWIW I use a 1m dish with Nokia 9800 from the Swiss Alps, could get away with 80cms I guess but when it's snowing hard I get some loss of signal.

And why do the BBC - an organisation not known for its altruism - give folk over 75 a free licence?

Apparently it is that group of people who complain the most (and rightly so imo) about foul and disgusting language on the BBC. Such language is euphemised as 'strong language' by the BBC where in fact of course it should be 'weak language'.

This age group also mostly complained about good old Jonathon Ross on the once coveted BBC Radio 2 Saturday morning slot. You see, that age group don't go for schoolboy smut and sex humour and don't understand that they are supposed to give a knowing and conspiratorial laugh when Rossy mentions 'the munchies' or whatever.

So the BBC shut them up by giving them a free licence. Thereby giving the Beeb a bit more of a freer rein to 'push the envelope' as they so love to term it when yet another boundary or taboo has been violated or when members of the public are sickened by the lowering of Broadcasting standards.

It had better happen before 2007 'cos I understand that is when Border is pulling the plug on analogue.

I belive that 2008 is the date when the switch over starts. It is going to effect the whole of the UK eventually, but they are starting with Border.

Then of course you will find out whether you have the right kind of kit in your house, i.e. aerial, wiring, sockets etc. Me thinks it's going to be big business for the installers in the next couple of years.

Apparently it is that group of people who complain the most (and rightly so imo) about foul and disgusting language on the BBC. Such language is euphemised as 'strong language' by the BBC

There was a verbal warning on one of the lifestyle channels over the weekend. It preceded a programme about a Maternity Hospital... "Viewers are advised that the following programme contains graphic scenes of childbirth"

:blink:

Apparently it is that group of people who complain the most (and rightly so imo) about foul and disgusting language on the BBC. Such language is euphemised as 'strong language' by the BBC

There was a verbal warning on one of the lifestyle channels over the weekend. It preceded a programme about a Maternity Hospital... "Viewers are advised that the following programme contains graphic scenes of childbirth"

:blink:

Quite right too. I watched one of those programmes once. Put me off sex for a while, I can tell you!

And why do the BBC - an organisation not known for its altruism - give folk over 75 a free licence?

Apparently it is that group of people who complain the most (and rightly so imo) about foul and disgusting language on the BBC. Such language is euphemised as 'strong language' by the BBC where in fact of course it should be 'weak language'.

This age group also mostly complained about good old Jonathon Ross on the once coveted BBC Radio 2 Saturday morning slot. You see, that age group don't go for schoolboy smut and sex humour and don't understand that they are supposed to give a knowing and conspiratorial laugh when Rossy mentions 'the munchies' or whatever.

So the BBC shut them up by giving them a free licence. Thereby giving the Beeb a bit more of a freer rein to 'push the envelope' as they so love to term it when yet another boundary or taboo has been violated or when members of the public are sickened by the lowering of Broadcasting standards.

The British Government give free license fees for the over 75's, not the BBC.

We can receive digital. Get in touch with Sky. Also I'd imagine we'll be able to get the BBC's Freesat.

What I presume you mean is Freeview and DAB Digital radio?

Just a thought - any one pointed a hi gain at Winter Hill / Over Kellet ( Morecambe ) or Ulviston ?

You may have a better chance of getting it then - I live near the things and can I get a good signal - can I $^&&*^)*(.

BTW - You get a better picture ( higher bit rate ) and better sound ( Dolby Surround ) than Sky or DAB.

Terran

Back on thread a little: Manx Radio and the BBC - National Broadcasters Tie the Knot

I wonder if/when Manx Radio are influenced by the BBC, our presenters will have to start using swear words with plenty of sexual innuendo. Along with plenty of hip words to show they are down there with the kids.

The BBC could do a lot worse than to learn a few lesson from our presenters at Manx Radio.

I understand that Beth Espey is to be given a higher profile on the show.

Reseach seems to indicate she is very popular with listeners. The idea is to make it more of a BBC1 "Breakfast" show.

As mentioned she is likely to be one of the MR newsroom team who will move to the BBC in the next few months.

Archived