Another Consultation

Amadeus

Public Consultation about the Speed Limit  

77 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I voted 'Yes'. That is Yes just to be sure.

Just to be sure we know exactly how pathetic some of our politicians really are.

I think the chap Gill from south has sussed it out and wants to distance himself from the charade.

Whereas Captain Douglas has decided, well you know, sort of decided, maybe.... er... that is until after the consultation results have been found, that there is no propaganda really and the consultation is a good thing. Probably.

Pathetic. The only word I can think of just now.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Michael Hunt. Ha ha

Phil Braidwood has responded to accusations of a "predudicial Campaign".

Clicky Link

Talking of road safety...

Selective Copy & Pasting Edited Quote:

A Lollypop man is at loggerheads with his bosses over child safety.

Michael Hunt fears there could be an accident after being told not to help children across a busy road...

...while the Department of Transport is happy for him to man the crossing on the Peel side of the A1 at its junction with Glen Darragh Road, Mr Hunt claims to have been told not to help youngsters cross Glen Darragh Road itself...

Mr Hunt has vowed to continue stopping traffic at the T-junction, where he has almost been hit by vehicles, and fears a child could be seriously hurt.

He said: 'The DoT knows it's an accident waiting to happen but has done nothing whatsoever to improve safety.

Director of highways Bruce Hannay said road safety near the school was investigated prior to Mr Hunt's appointment in September as recruitment had proved difficult.

A puffin crossing was considered, but the nature of the junction meant it wasn't suitable and a full set of traffic lights – which would have been unpopular with residents – would have been needed if a lollipop man hadn't been found.

...he said. 'We have no record of accidents at the junction of the Peel to Douglas road and Glen Darragh Road. We have to justify the expenditure of public money and cost wasn't a factor in our decision.

Full Article: IOM Online

No more Top Gear episodes etc....

Whatever happens, of course there'll be more Top Gear episodes.

We'd be happy to close the Mountain Road for your personal playground, Mr Clarkson/Barrie/Butler-Henderson etc, that'll be £100,000 please. See, we get *something* for our TV Licence money :P

p.s. New series of TG starts next month, interesting to see if JC has anything to say about this..

Phil Braidwood has responded to accusations of a "predudicial Campaign".

Clicky Link

From the reply:

Bruce Hannay, Director of Highways says,

Research undertaken in the UK and in other countries has shown that lowering vehicle speed reduces the severity of road traffic collisions and these findings cannot be ignored.”

Wow - there's rocket science... Problem is, a speed limit that isn't properly enforced would not necessarily lower vehicle speed....

I guess research has also shown that the fewest accidents happen when cars stand still or are locked away in a garage..

Michael Hunt. Ha ha

I'm sure there is a reason for your laughter, but not knowing why makes me feel sad and left out. Please share your wisdom.

Mike Hunt. Say it.

It's a very unoriginal crap joke. And all over the internet, crap wise - crackers sign in as Michael Hunt.

Then again there must really be a few people who really are actually called Michael Hunt. Which I'm sure is probably the case in this instance.

I heard on MR that Bruce Hannay is on Mandate tomorrow morning...should make interesting listening!

Let's hope someone asks about the related factors underlying the governments statistics i.e. though people may have been driving at 'speed' when an accident occured, how many of these accidents were actually caused by:

- Following to closely

- Unsafe overtaking

- Improper lane changes (including driving on the wrong side of the road)

- Alcohol/drugs etc.

- Lack of attention

- Reckless driving

- High speed chases (e.g. 2 cars racing)

- Erratic speeds

- Driving too fast for conditions (not above the limit)

- Driving faster than existing limits

- R plates etc.

- Vehicle in poor condition

Whether the speed limit is 5mph, 30mph, 60mph or unlimited - you can already be prosecuted for all of the above issues now. A national speed limit will do little, if anything, to reduce these causes - only some of their effects - though certainly nowehere near the extent suggested by the pro speed limit campaign.

These are the real factors of accidents, and logically, the number of accidents claimed to have been caused simply by 'speeding' is greatly reduced.

The reality is that most accidents can only be prevented through better education and better policing. To suggest anything else is an insult to intelligence.

Let's hope someone asks about the related factors underlying the governments statistics i.e. though people may have been driving at 'speed' when an accident occured, how many of these accidents were actually caused by:

- Following to closely

- Unsafe overtaking

- Improper lane changes (including driving on the wrong side of the road)

- Alcohol/drugs etc.

- Lack of attention

- Reckless driving

- High speed chases (e.g. 2 cars racing)

- Erratic speeds

- Driving too fast for conditions (not above the limit)

- Driving faster than existing limits

- R plates etc.

- Vehicle in poor condition

Excellent points. Have you emailed them to the DoT?

Out of interest what proportion of the island's roads are 'unregulated'?

I tried to work that out. Unless the DoT have it a database, there is no (easy) way of working it out as far as I can see. There are about 700 miles of roads - but many miles are roads/streets in towns and there are numerous stretches of 'A' Road with restrictions.

Why are some roads on the Isle of Man called "de restricted". Was there a time when they were restricted? Was a restriction lifted making these roads "de restricted"?

I think that I understand the meaning of the term with respect to some UK roads. But was there ever previously a national speed limit on the Isle of Man? Was it lifted at some point?

Anyone got any good links?

Aren't the out of town routes on the IOM un - restricted rather than de - restricted? Or are the restricted zones classed as the norm?

From MR web-site:-

As the debate rumbles on over whether there should be an all-Island speed limit, a member of the Department of Transport has defended its public consultation process.

Captain Andrew Douglas was speaking after Rushen MHK Quintin Gill described the campaign as ‘prejudicial’ and called for it to be withdrawn – less than a year after a similar programme found two thirds of views expressed were firmly AGAINST a limit.

However, Captain Douglas, says it’s best not to comment until the latest consultation is concluded – and believes the department has taken a considered stance.

...what prompted and why did Capt Douglas come out with this "contribution"?

he believes " believes the department has taken a considered stance" is he fishing for votes, or a Ministerial job if he gets re-elected?

Archived