Asbestos Disposal ---

Rog

Reading an article on the demolition of Summerland I noted that the removal of asbestos took 18 weeks alone.

That set me to thinking.

The Isle of Man is not especially large and there are not that many sites that are used as dumps.

Over here the safe removal – and equally importantly the safe disposal of asbestos is a really big issue.

Summerland was by no means unique in incorporating asbestos in its structure and so I was just wondering ---

How and where is asbestos disposed of on the Isle of Man?

Or like radon gas in homes and the risk to health as a result is it just one of those things that are not discussed?

It is bagged and currently burried at the Ayres Tip.

I thought that the operator of Turkeyland's quarry currently held a licence for the handling and disposal of ACM's?

Yep Knivetons at Turkeylands have a licence, the point used to but i am not sure if they still do.

Turkeylands cant take bagged asbestos. Also I stand corrected the Ayres tip cant take it at the moment and it is currently being stockpiled in covered skips in foxdale.

There must be one hell of a lot of it by now.

A disaster waiting to happen.

Not good. Especially when the cost of removal and safe disposal will have already been paid.

What then happens if the contractor holding this horrible carcinogen goes 'bust'? Who will end up picking up the bill and what short cuts will be taken?

I dont think he will go bust at the figure he is being paid??????

That would depend on if he WANTED to. There are circumstances when -----

Anyway just been told you cant send it there now.

So where IS it going?

It's nasty stuff and it dosn't decompose.

Probably Downie will suggest it goes to the incinerator. That's about his level.

Archived