M O T - Yes Or No

Amadeus

Compulsory vehicle testing  

62 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I know this is one of these subjects that pop up again once in a while, but looking at the raging debate about the speed limit and safer roads, I thought it would be appropriate to dig it out again.

So, MOT for all vehicles, yes or no?

I'm for it - only properly maintained cars can be safe cars, and they can't seriously think of introducing any kind of speed limit before making sure that a car is actually generally safe at 60mph....

It's one major step towards safer roads, all without more yellow signs on the side of the road (IMO).

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Again, in my opinion another law that causes hassle for the decent sensible law abiding person, the people who drive in cars that should not be on the road still will, mot or not.

The people who service their cars as per manufactures recommendation will then have to go through the hassle of an MOT as well ,the people who don’t care will continue not to.

Why not enforce the existing laws rather than introduce more.

I am totally against the introduction of the MOT. (even though I personally would gain financially from it’s introduction.)

I think yes, How many people actually check there tires and brakes?

I've seen a few tires which look illegal if not are barely legal, There should be some type of test, The amount of people driving around in cars with loud exhausts is also amazing and some must be above 110db (Not just after market exhausts but also old ones which have loads of holes in them) Also how many people re-new there catalytic converters when they wear out?

I was surprised when I brought my car over that it had to undergo a test similar to the MOT to be re-registered on the Island. It failed on a couple of minor points (fog lamp gone, and wear on a tyre) put them right and passed the test, but the car would never be tested again. Does seem a bit odd that you have to put a car which was subject to the UK MOT regime through just one test when you bring it over, but it would not be re-tested.

I think yes, How many people actually check there tires and brakes?

I've seen a few tires which look illegal if not are barely legal, There should be some type of test, The amount of people driving around in cars with loud exhausts is also amazing and some must be above 110db (Not just after market exhausts but also old ones which have loads of holes in them) Also how many people re-new there catalytic converters when they wear out?

You are missing the point. If you are a responsible person you have your car serviced and repair the faults as they appear.

We have Laws that state that you should not use a vehicle on the public highway if it is not in a roadworthy condition. As a law abiding person I keep my vehicles well maintained so If I get stopped I know I have no worry’s. All an MOT does is cause unnecessary hassle for the law abiding people, having to take time out to get their vehicle tested.

If you can’t be bothered to keep your car maintained now what difference is an MOT going to make?

As I said before another law that will inconvenience the decent law abiding people and the idiots will not give a flying ****.

Enforce the laws we have , don’t introduce more nanny state rubbish.

Voted No because the garages over here would charge a fortune.

Most people look after the cars they have so i cannot see any reason why it is needed.

After all most people have good cars, not like years ago when we all had the old bangers.

You are missing the point. If you are a responsible person you have your car serviced and repair the faults as they appear.

We have Laws that state that you should not use a vehicle on the public highway if it is not in a roadworthy condition. As a law abiding person I keep my vehicles well maintained so If I get stopped I know I have no worry’s. All an MOT does is cause unnecessary hassle for the law abiding people, having to take time out to get their vehicle tested.

If you can’t be bothered to keep your car maintained now what difference is an MOT going to make?

As I said before another law that will inconvenience the decent law abiding people and the idiots will not give a flying ****.

Enforce the laws we have , don’t introduce more nanny state rubbish.

If we had an MOT then it would stop the idiots driving in total wrecks and If your cars are all well maintained then why would you have a problem?, I can see your point but not everyone thinks like you or keeps thier vehicles well maintained, Now if the police bothered to check cars or did routine stop checks then there wouldn't be a problem. But the fact some people drive around with one working head light and don't bother checking number plate lights (How many people check this?) and some have worn tires and an exhaust with loads of holes.

People should have there car serviced and checked at least once a year.

Good point Roger, years ago you could tell a Manx car by its state of disrepair before you looked at the number plate!

In the UK there used to be a roaring trade in stolen blank MOT certificates, solely for the purposes of getting the vehicle through its annual tax. The fine for not having a valid MOT was pretty minimal so many more law-abiding people would leave the MOT until they had to have one for re-taxing the car. The MOT was also a good scam for some unscrupulous garages who would pass a car for a small back-hander, or find lots of faults for correction.

My comment above was aimed at the half-hearted attempt at ensuring vehicle road-worthiness which was the usual Manx neither one thing nor t'other.

If we had an MOT then it would stop the idiots driving in total wrecks and If your cars are all well maintained then why would you have a problem?, I can see your point but not everyone thinks like you or keeps thier vehicles well maintained, Now if the police bothered to check cars or did routine stop checks then there wouldn't be a problem. But the fact some people drive around with one working head light and don't bother checking number plate lights (How many people check this?) and some have worn tires and an exhaust with loads of holes.

People should have there car serviced and checked at least once a year

Do you really think an MOT would stop people driving round with one headlight or their number plate lights out or bald tyres?

Do you not think that this type of person is not the type to not have insurance , tax or a current MOT?

You have said the answer in your post” Now if the police bothered to check cars or did routine stop checks then there wouldn't be a problem.” ENFORCE the laws we have NOT introduce more Nanny state rubbish!!!!

You have said the answer in your post” Now if the police bothered to check cars or did routine stop checks then there wouldn't be a problem.” ENFORCE the laws we have NOT introduce more Nanny state rubbish!!!!

Hey its only a MOT test not an attempt to stop you exercising some precious freedom :rolleyes:

Maybe, given the size of the Island, the Govt could set up low cost testing stations to prevent garages from profiteering

I run a haulage company and we have a annual MOT for our vehicles, and I can tell you it is a very time consuming hassle, it is not just a couple of hours at the test centre, you pay for a test, take the vehicle there and unfortunately one of your number plate light bulbs has just blown. Guess what you get a fail slip!!!! Then you have to go away put a bulb in an PAY again for another test.

So what should be a slight inconvenience becomes a right pain and costs even more money.

If I thought the IOM test would slightly resemble the UK test I might be convinced it was a good idea , but in my experience it would do nothing but cause trouble

Archived