M O T - Yes Or No

Amadeus

Compulsory vehicle testing  

62 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The point is though (and this is what some of the other posters are trying to say) is that the laws aren't lax at all. They are just not being enforced. It is illegal to drive a car which is unfit / unsafe.

And how are 'vehicle illiterate' people such as myself supposed to know whether their car is unfit/unsafe? The only way I can see is by taking it to a garage where a qualified person tells you yes or no. A bit like... a bit like an MOT test.

No not like an MOT like the anual service that your car should be getting.

A lot of people seem to be saying that they should be forced into doing, what to me is just plain common sense.

It does not matter what laws you bring in people will still flout them.

Rog says that at £40 for an MOT is good value, but we have garages on the island that do safety checks for less. Caledonian Vauxhall will give you piece of mind for £19.99.

Taxis already have to be examined annually on the island, and the test is an extremely thorough one (sometimes a little too thorough if the guys at the centre take a pick into you).

Personally, I always register my family car as a 'reserve' taxi. This means that, for the fee of £18 (plus a fiver to get the fitted fire extinguisher certified), I get my car thoroughly examined - far more thoroughly, in fact, than if it was sent for a £80-100 service.

No not like an MOT like the anual service that your car should be getting.

Should? The law doesn't say you "should".

A lot of people seem to be saying that they should be forced into doing, what to me is just plain common sense.

Common sense, eh? Definition: "The assumption that everyone else thinks just like you."

If everyone had "common sense" then there wouldn't be a need for any law, because everyone would see the sense in liability insurance (compulsory under law), everyone would see that it's wrong to steal, everyone would see that it's wrong to carry guns around...

It does not matter what laws you bring in people will still flout them.

We might as well live in anarchy, then, and just hope that everyone has "common sense".

Over here if you have a car registered in your name you have a choice. Pay the VED or submit an annual ‘SORN’ notice (Statutory Off Road Notification).

Fail to do either and you get an automatic £80 fine plus if a safety camera ‘sees’ you on the road or you’re nicked for parking and look out – big money.

No MOT? Easy. No VED disk can be bought and registered. No insurance? No VED can be bought and registered.

No VED disk? See above.

There is of course another aspect to this.

What’s it worth to know that every car you encounter on the road has been inspected and passed by a qualified technician, trained in what to look for on specific vehicles, within the last 12 months?

To me it’s a price well paying for that alone.

snip

What’s it worth to know that every car you encounter on the road has been inspected and passed by a qualified technician, trained in what to look for on specific vehicles, within the last 12 months?

or inspected by a dodgy mechanic who doesnt give a cr4p and will pass it as long as you cross his palm with silver.

Just for my final comment on this, i have just brought a car over from the UK , it went through a MOT 2 weeks ago, so you would think it should pass the manx test.

It didn't it failed on 4 items, the car had covered 80 miles between tests.

If the manx examiners are correct then the UK Mot don't mean alot, or are the manx examiners being OTT?

The Law states that you must not drive a vehicle on the public highway in an unroadworthy condition.

That means if you personally can't be sure your car is roadworthy then you should book it in for a service/check with someone who can.

snip

or inspected by a dodgy mechanic who doesnt give a cr4p and will pass it as long as you cross his palm with silver.

Very unusual.

Really.

The MOT inspector is not just any old mechanic in a garage. he is personally licensed and the loss of his licence is very costly in terms of lost investment that he or his boss has made to get him that licence as well as almost invariably the loss of his job as a mechanic AND prosecution.

The MOT test sites, be they garages or MOT specials, require considerable investment in special equipment including rolling roads for brake testing, and are regularly inspected by ‘mystery auditors’.

Any vehicle that is involved in an accident that is found to have a defect that should have been picked up at an MOT test will pretty well guarantee a visit by a ‘ghost’ and too many such mistakes and a garage can be left with a lot of expensive equipment with little use to put it to once they loose their certification which DOES happen on occasions when things go wrong.

It would take more than a few quid to get a hooky MOT these days unless you were very close indeed to the person who issues the document.

Although nothing is absolutely fool or rogue proof the benefits of having a formal annual inspection far outweigh the insolvencies let alone the very few ‘dodgy deals’.

The Law states that you must not drive a vehicle on the public highway in an unroadworthy condition.

That means if you personally can't be sure your car is roadworthy then you should book it in for a service/check with someone who can.

There's nothing in the law that advises you on what to do in such a set of circumstances. Your "common sense" has jumped to the conclusion that you need to book your car in for a service every year. There are many people who won't jump to that conclusion, precisely because there are no guidelines.

There's nothing in the law that advises you on what to do in such a set of circumstances. Your "common sense" has jumped to the conclusion that you need to book your car in for a service every year. There are many people who won't jump to that conclusion, precisely because there are no guidelines.

It's in your owners manual. Manufacturers give guidelines as to how often their vehicle should be serviced to keep them roadworthy, or is that my common sense jumping to conclusions?

I don't have an owners manual, and as far as I'm aware, reading one and acting upon it isn't a legal requirement.

You either have a problem:

1 - realising that not everyone knows/cares about their car as much as you do (surpising, seeing as cars obviously play an important part of your life); or

2 - considering that there may be people stupider than you (understandable)

Think of MOTs as a push in the right direction for lazy people. If you get your car serviced every year, then it shouldn't really worry you.

It's in your owners manual. Manufacturers give guidelines as to how often their vehicle should be serviced to keep them roadworthy, or is that my common sense jumping to conclusions?

Probably more like that you fail to remember that not everyone is motivated to do the right thing and some don’t even know what the right thing is.

Think Willy Kelly from Pully. Aged 19, just got his Peugeot 106, first reg 1992, bits of rust here and there but ‘shines up fine yessir!’

Suspension? Well a bit of a knock on some corners an’ she bounces a bit when yopu go right!

Brakes? They squeal a bit and pull to the right a bit!

Handbtake? ‘Never use it, yessir, stretches that cable if you do me daa says. Just leave her in cog’

Tyres – well, they keep up to pressure except the front near side that gets blown up at the garage every other day,

Driving? Bit funny to drive but ‘you soon get used to her yessir!’ bit of uneven wear on the front tyres but otherwise great!

Regular servicing? Hell no, yessir, leave what isn’t broke alone me daa always says’.

Oil change? Done one once yessir!

Headlights? Tuned them up fine so as to make them buggers dip comin’ towards me!

Unusual? Untypical of a young driver who’s short of a few bob? Not in the least.

THAT’S who the MOT test will weed out.

Archived