M O T - Yes Or No

Amadeus

Compulsory vehicle testing  

62 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What’s it worth to know that every car you encounter on the road has been inspected and passed by a qualified technician, trained in what to look for on specific vehicles, within the last 12 months?

You mean "What’s it worth to know that every car you encounter that is over 3 years old on the road has been inspected and passed by a qualified technician, trained in what to look for on specific vehicles, within the last 12 months?"

What about cars less than 3 year's old? a "rep" can do many thousands of company miles in a year, so his/her new car could have worn tyres and/or brakes before the 3 years are up, and thus be driving a death trap that has not been inspected by "qualified technicians"

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What’s it worth to know that every car you encounter on the road has been inspected and passed by a qualified technician, trained in what to look for on specific vehicles, within the last 12 months?

You mean "What’s it worth to know that every car you encounter that is over 3 years old on the road has been inspected and passed by a qualified technician, trained in what to look for on specific vehicles, within the last 12 months?"

What about cars less than 3 year's old? a "rep" can do many thousands of company miles in a year, so his/her new car could have worn tyres and/or brakes before the 3 years are up, and thus be driving a death trap that has not been inspected by "qualified technicians"

Most company cars have regular independant tests and checks, The fact is there are people driving round in death traps and that needs to be sorted out, Eithier through the existing law or by an MOT.

Sideways the point of an MOT is to check for any major problems and things which could go wrong within a years time, You didn't state how close your car was to needing a new MOT or what it was failed on at the manx test center, Things like lights and window wipers are just everyday things which should be checked.

In nearly all cases company cars and most vans are now leased rather than owned by the employer. It is still highly tax efficient as well as being cost efficient to the employer.

Part of the T’s and C’s of the lease deal usually includes that the vehicles are serviced on a regular basis by an approved (and usually main dealership) garage.

Substantial ‘fines’ oftentimes get imposed if the servicing is NOT carried out as the end result would otherwise be a car that come selling on time by the lease company the vehicle would not have a complete service history and therefore have a lower resale value.

Part of the T’s and C’s of the lease deal usually includes that the vehicles are serviced on a regular basis by an approved (and usually main dealership) garage.

So servicing alone is fine now?

Or is that because it fit's nicely into the argument? (i.e. someone raised a valid question)

Anyway, I'm glad you are now in agreement.

:D

MoT's (or DOT's as they would have to be here) are, in the UK, a tax on the poor and a licence for garages there to print money.

I would be happy with MoTs on the island if the system was designed properly from the start and lessons were taken on board from the UK, as many garages on the island rip people off as it is. Alas, with the advent of Microsoft's 'cut and paste' - I suspect not.

With the number of vehicles on the road here, they also would have to scale the introduction e.g. vehicles over 15, 10 yrs first.

So servicing alone is fine now?

Or is that because it fit's nicely into the argument? (i.e. someone raised a valid question)

Anyway, I'm glad you are now in agreement.

:D

Servicing for a NEW car, i.e. less than 3 years old addresses the case of where a rep is using his car as a ‘road warier’, i.e. exposes it to other than average (and normal) use.

Otherwise servicing is NOT enough.

When you put your horseless carriage in to be serviced or repaired any inspection work done is actually substantially less than that for an MOT.

How many ‘ordinary services’ involve a braking efficiency and balancing test on a rolling road for example? Or a handbrake test, again on a rolling road? How many check headlamp beam alignment? How many take a crow bar to track rod ends or beat up the exhaust pipe? How many perform a catalyser efficiency and pollution test?

Answer? Damm few if any for ordinary cars.

MoT's (or DOT's as they would have to be here) are, in the UK, a tax on the poor and a licence for garages there to print money.

Simply untrue.

I would be happy with MoTs on the island if the system was designed properly from the start and lessons were taken on board from the UK, as many garages on the island rip people off as it is. Alas, with the advent of Microsoft's 'cut and paste' - I suspect not.

Why not pick up precisely the same test schedule as on the mainland. It works, works well, and training courses for examiners exist.

With the number of vehicles on the road here, they also would have to scale the introduction e.g. vehicles over 15, 10 yrs first.

Why?

No reason whatsoever that the MOT should not be brought in as a 'big bang'.

No reason whatsoever that the MOT should not be brought in as a 'big bang'.

You kidding? 27,000 vehicles on the island with about 5,000 under 3 years old say (that's just households) would take 30 garages about 6 months working flat out (that's just to MoT - never mind fix the numerous problems that will be discovered or do their existing work). You'd have to scale it, otherwise two-thirds of all the businesses that geared up to provide MoT's would have little business after a couple of years (and test centre equipments - especially emission testers - are not cheap).

I think a good way to enforce the MoT would be to ensure that cars had an MoT badge - displayed like a tax disc (as they do in Germany) - which would ensure the dodgers were more easily caught. Otherwise, like now, you would still have to be stopped, or have been in an accident, to be caught. It would also highlight that people were insured as perhaps you should need to present the MoT to get the insurance and only then get your tax and MoT disc.

Sideways the point of an MOT is to check for any major problems and things which could go wrong within a years time, You didn't state how close your car was to needing a new MOT or what it was failed on at the manx test center, Things like lights and window wipers are just everyday things which should be checked

Just to clarify a few things, my car had just the day before i picked it up passed an English MOT it traveled 80 miles to get to the Manx test centre and failed.

And i have inspected what it failed on and the Manx tast centre is Quite right.

Just to clarify a few things, my car had just the day before i picked it up passed an English MOT it traveled 80 miles to get to the Manx test centre and failed.

And you'd have probably got a different result if you'd gone to another UK garage, as happended to me a few years ago. There is definately a lack of consistency (even on quite serious stuff) which is why some people drive many miles to some UK test centres.

Sideways the point of an MOT is to check for any major problems and things which could go wrong within a years time, You didn't state how close your car was to needing a new MOT or what it was failed on at the manx test center, Things like lights and window wipers are just everyday things which should be checked

A pretty poor service from whoever tested the car in England then, Although i'm sure alot of cars on the island would fail an English MOT and no doubt the Manx test.

A pretty poor service from whoever tested the car in England then, Although i'm sure alot of cars on the island would fail an English MOT and no doubt the Manx test.

Just to clarify things a little more I have been in the motor trade now for 22 years, and have a lot of experience in importing cars from the UK, on a regular basis cars come over with 10 or more months left on their MOT and nine times out of ten they will fail the Manx test.

Some of the points that fail I agree with 100% but I must admit the boys up the test centre do seem to let the power go to their heads.(only a little if any of you read this).

The MOT does give a certain amount of piece of mind but it does not in my opinion change the fact the as Rog said the 19 year old from pully will still drive an unroadworthy car.

I have said before that the MOT will bring me great financial reward, but I still belive that it will not make the roads of the Isle of Man any safer.

Mileage is a consideration here. I do about 2000 miles a year - it would really annoy me to have to do an MOT (I guess at about £120?) on this basis as the car is basically (1) Not doing any high speed motorway miles (2) Not going anywhere in particular and (3) Not going anywhere fast because of the state of the roads

However, this does not stop some peasant with flat tyres taking a piece of junk out on the roads and killing people with it, so I'm not really sure what the answer is.

Archived