M O T - Yes Or No

Amadeus

Compulsory vehicle testing  

62 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If we go by the Manx test they don’t check emissions so you wouldn’t need one…

Thats the one thing that could actually help the Islands enviroment though, In UK you fail an MOT if your car gives off to much emmisons and even if they are slightly out its still a fail, In the Isle of Man they don't check them at all, So most people never replace there catalytic converter!

So if we actually have say 27,000 cars and none of them have catalytic converters then are we are actually doing the damage of about 40,000 cars?

The point of catalytic converters is to reduce all the really dangerous gases which are given off such as Carbon dioxide and Carbon monoxide, Hopefully the Island will do something in the future!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats the one thing that could actually help the Islands enviroment though, In UK you fail an MOT if your car gives off to much emmisons and even if they are slightly out its still a fail, In the Isle of Man they don't check them at all, So most people never replace there catalytic converter!

So if we actually have say 27,000 cars and none of them have catalytic converters then are we are actually doing the damage of about 40,000 cars?

The point of catalytic converters is to reduce all the really dangerous gases which are given off such as Carbon dioxide and Carbon monoxide, Hopefully the Island will do something in the future!

'Cats' don't do a thing to carbon dioxide.

'Cats' don't do a thing to carbon dioxide.

Yes sorry they don't do anything to carbon dioxide, Although they do reduce carbon monoxide which is a very poisonous gas.

Mileage is a consideration here. I do about 2000 miles a year - it would really annoy me to have to do an MOT (I guess at about £120?)

My last MoT cost about £40. As I said, fantastic value for money.

I think some garages do them as "loss leaders". They know that if there is any work to be done, they're more than likely going to get the work.

This is an opportunity for all the Manx crabs on here to suggest that they'll fail the car deliberately to get the work. Come on everyone, exercise your cynicism NOW.

Mind you, I like Lonan's cheaper taxi test idea.

No reason whatsoever that the MOT should not be brought in as a 'big bang'.

You kidding? 27,000 vehicles on the island with about 5,000 under 3 years old say (that's just households) would take 30 garages about 6 months working flat out (that's just to MoT - never mind fix the numerous problems that will be discovered or do their existing work). You'd have to scale it, otherwise two-thirds of all the businesses that geared up to provide MoT's would have little business after a couple of years (and test centre equipments - especially emission testers - are not cheap).

So the way that you do it is this.

When the VED is next due make it a condition that, just as over here, a valid MOT cert must be presented as well as a valid cert of insurance.

Anyway, it's not the emission testers that are costly, it's the rolling road.

I think a good way to enforce the MoT would be to ensure that cars had an MoT badge - displayed like a tax disc (as they do in Germany) - which would ensure the dodgers were more easily caught. Otherwise, like now, you would still have to be stopped, or have been in an accident, to be caught. It would also highlight that people were insured as perhaps you should need to present the MoT to get the insurance and only then get your tax and MoT disc.

I agree about the 'disks' but would like to see an insurance cert disk as well. Although our 'safety cameras' are pulling a lot of untaxed, uninsured, and expored-MOT cars off the road - actually 'on the fly' in some cases - disks would assist traffic wardens in the issuing of penalty notices and even clamping uninsured or no MOT vehicles where they sat.

No reason whatsoever that the MOT should not be brought in as a 'big bang'.

You kidding? 27,000 vehicles on the island with about 5,000 under 3 years old say (that's just households) would take 30 garages about 6 months working flat out (that's just to MoT - never mind fix the numerous problems that will be discovered or do their existing work). You'd have to scale it, otherwise two-thirds of all the businesses that geared up to provide MoT's would have little business after a couple of years (and test centre equipments - especially emission testers - are not cheap).

So the way that you do it is this.

When the VED is next due make it a condition that, just as over here, a valid MOT cert must be presented as well as a valid cert of insurance.

Anyway, it's not the emission testers that are costly, it's the rolling road.

I think a good way to enforce the MoT would be to ensure that cars had an MoT badge - displayed like a tax disc (as they do in Germany) - which would ensure the dodgers were more easily caught. Otherwise, like now, you would still have to be stopped, or have been in an accident, to be caught. It would also highlight that people were insured as perhaps you should need to present the MoT to get the insurance and only then get your tax and MoT disc.

I agree about the 'disks' but would like to see an insurance cert disk as well. Although our 'safety cameras' are pulling a lot of untaxed, uninsured, and expored-MOT cars off the road - actually 'on the fly' in some cases - disks would assist traffic wardens in the issuing of penalty notices and even clamping uninsured or no MOT vehicles where they sat.

Yes - I have seen the excellent German system too. The addition of the extra disks (I think they have theirs attached or stamped on the number plate to save blocking the windscreen) is an obvious way of ensuring legallity.

Yes - I have seen the excellent German system too. The addition of the extra disks (I think they have theirs attached or stamped on the number plate to save blocking the windscreen) is an obvious way of ensuring legallity.

We do indeed:

post-1086-1143794094_thumb.jpg

Emission test (front plate) and vehicle safety test (rear plate) stickers are also attached to the plate. The expiry date can be figured out as follows: The year is in the centre of the sticker and the uppermost number is the month. The black marking on the side makes it easy for the police to see the expiration month from a distance. Imagine a clock, then the marking shows the same position as the face of the clock. For example the black marking is on the left side, so it is the ninth month (or 9 o'clock) and hence the expiry date is 30th September. The colours are repeated every 6 years.

emission test sticker:

post-1086-1143794234_thumb.jpg

safety test sticker:

post-1086-1143794268_thumb.jpg

From Wikipedia

Archived